Chapter 1

The frost in the air kissed my fingers and nibbled at my neck. It found it's way to every inch of my exposed skin and caressed it until shivers rippled across my spine.

I couldn't handle it, and I yearned for a warmth that wasn't there.

I didn't know where I was.

I could hardly comprehend my surroundings.

I knew I was a human.

I knew I had a heart; I knew my heart was pumping blood through my veins and that it kept me alive and that it could kill me just as easily.

I knew that I was slender and pale and a little too weak to put up a fight or to sprint away if I needed to.

God - I knew that I was a male, and I remembered the terms for the freaking male reproduction system - but I had absolutely no idea where I was or how I had got there.

My eyes focused on a tall, skinny object in front of me. The unmistakable image of a tree became clear and I realised I was standing amidst a vast forest.

In the dark.

Alone.

Only one thought ran through my mind.

'I need to get the hell out of here.'

I turned my head to the left and the right, my neck cracking as it violently whipped around in my desperation to get an idea of how I could escape.

Trees.

Everywhere.

Laughing at me; taunting me and pointing their long, spindly fingers at me.

Swaying and dancing and blocking me out.

Staring at me with their menacing blank eyes full of repulse.

Crossing their arms and straightening their backs; flexing and looming over me.

Chanting my name over and over, hissing and spitting each individual letter; oh yes, now I remembered.

My name was Stiles.

I went to Beacon Hills high school.

My best friend was Scott, who was an animal of some sort…

…oh yes. A werewolf.

There was a girl - Lydia.

She had a scream like a banshee.

And - there was another person.

I remembered their face distinctly.

Derek.

Derek Hale.

"Stiles…" the trees murmured.

I heard my name all around me, until it lost its meaning and my ears started ringing.

"Stiles…" their voices whooshed like the wind. "Stiles…stiles…stiles!"

"Shut up!" I screamed, moving my hands up to my head.

I pushed against my ears until I felt like I was squeezing my brain out.

But that didn't help stop the noise.

"Stiles! Stiles!"

The chanting only became louder.

It became more urgent.

It turned into shouting.

And then I felt something.

I felt something brush against my arm.