(1) Surprise

The morning was usual. Wake up, get dress, of course keeping up with the blue color scheme, brush my hair, brush my teeth. Pack lunch, get my bag and-
Don't. Forget. The scrunchie.

Just before I grabbed the handle of my door, my mom walked in. She looked excited. In her hand she held a plate with some patè.
"Good morning Veronica! I made you a morning snack."

I thanked her and took the plate. I started eating slowly, and mom remained in the doorway. After about five minutes, I set the plate down and crossed my arms.

"Alright mom, what's wrong?" I asked her sternly. She only ever hung around in my room like this when something was up. She let out an exasperated sigh.

"I just got news that a new student is being transferred to Westerburg from Pennsylvania."

I almost choked on another piece of paté.

I set my hands on my desk in a panicked frenzy. Mom grabbed my arms, trying to calm me down.
"Veronica! It's okay sweetie, it's okay! I don't know her name, but it's a girl!"

That didn't calm me down. For all I know, for all I fucking know, she could turn out just like him. I couldn't handle another new student right now.

My breathing was labored and I felt like I was  going to pass out. Mom held me up and kept me steady.
"Just breathe, Veronica. It's going to be okay."

Once I had gathered myself and steadied my breath, I took in a deep breath and let it out with a sigh. I can get through this. She'll be different.

I quickly finish up my paté and rush out if the house. I call behind me, "Bye Mom, bye Dad! I'll be home late because Heather M. has cheerleading!"

I reached the bus stop just as the large, yellow school bus pulled up. Heather McNamara was already there, waiting for me. She wore her usual yellow blouse, skirt, stockings, and heels. With her signature yellow bow.

"Veronica! What took so long?" She asked, her voice sounding somewhat tired. "Nothing, just had some trouble with finding an outfit this morning." I lied, trying to keep a cool facade.

When we stepped onto the bus, I noticed a girl was sitting in the back with headphones on. She had medium black hair, and soft green eyes that hid his same mischief. That had to be the new girl.

Heather and I sat in our normal seats in the front, chatting about classes. She explained that she stayed up all night studying for our American History test.

"Oh, shit! I totally forgot that was today!" I exclaimed, quickly pulling my notebook out of my backpack to start reviewing notes. Heather stopped me, however.

"It's okay. I'll just tell you the answers during the test!" She laughed, and I laughed with her. Maybe today would be okay. But as our laughter died out and Westerburg approached, I started thinking about bow similar that girl looked to... Him.

I still can't even think his name. He was an evil bastard, but some sick, twisted part of me misses him. And I absolutely despise that part of me.

Heather shook me out of my thoughts when we reached Westerburg. And just as we stepped off the bus, none other than Heather Duke drove up in her green Station Wagon.

I don't need her bullshit today.

Heather excuses herself to go talk to Heather, and I make my way to my locker. As I started pulling books out and putting books in, the intercom blares to life.

"Attention students. Today, we have a new student joining us today. Her name is Jaide Durlan,"
God, her name is even similar to his.
"and you can find her in the Northwest section of lockers. Be kind and say hello."

As soon as the announcement ended, I could already hear jocks whispering about whether she'd be a good fuck or not. I rolled my eyes and continued my trade of books.

Before long, I felt a finger gently tap my shoulder. I turn to look, and the girl from the bus, I'm guessing Jaide, stands in front of me. My eyes widened. She was short as hell.

"Hey. You Veronica Sawyer?"

Bien merde.