Chapter 1

Miss Cassandra Carlyle's Wedding

Fall, 1807

Cornwall, England

"I'll tell Papa you're being mean to me!" eight-year-old Cassandra Carlyle shrieked, in the elegant drawing room of Rose Hill Manor. A stately cream-colored structure originally built in the past century, it served as the countryseat to generations of Viscounts in the Carlyle family. 

The heir, Cassandra's older brother Allayne, exchanged worried glances with his best friends, Richard and Jeremy. The three young men, all fifteen years of age, grew up together in neighboring estates. 

 "Papaaa!" Cassandra wailed louder. 

Allayne peered out the window facing the side yard adorned with a flower box full of roses on the sill, before hastily shutting the windowpane. Cassandra knew, he wanted to ensure the ruckus would not reach the ears of their father, Viscount Rose, who was strolling about the garden conversing with the Duke of Grandstone. 

"Whatever is the matter with you?" Allayne turned to her with a glower. "You knew, we are leaving for Oxford today!" 

Cassandra pursed her trembling lips and crossed her arms defiantly on her chest. "You and Jeremy can go, but I want Richard to stay!" 

"All three of us have to go to the University," Allayne said in an exasperated tone. "We can't stay here forever. That's just the way it is." 

"But I want to marry Richard when I grow up!" Cassandra exclaimed tearfully, her new large front teeth peeking halfway through her gums. "If you go, I'll never see him again!" 

Allayne glanced sideways at his friends and rolled his eyes towards the ceiling. "Don't be ridiculous!" 

 "I'll tell Papa you broke Mama's lamp!" She pointed at the elaborate light fixture awkwardly tilted on one side. "And you're hiding all those pamphlets with naughty drawings under your bed!" 

Allayne gaped at her. "Who told you that?" he thrust a forefinger at his sister's nose. 

She clamped her mouth shut, but her eyes darted to the dark-haired young man standing next to him. Allayne muttered a curse and glared at Jeremy, currently the Earl of Calverston, and heir to the Marquisate of Waterford, the estate of which, bordered Rose Hill to the left.

Jeremy raised his shoulders and blinked his dark eyes innocently at Allayne. 

Richard, the future Duke, and heir to Grandstone Park, the largest property in Cornwall running alongside Rose Hill to the right, placed a soothing hand on Cassandra's shoulder. "Cassie, come now. Don't be so cross. I'll be back during the holidays, and who knows, I might even be able to visit you in a fortnight." 

"I don't believe you!" Cassandra's lower lip jutted outwards, and her brows snapped together. "You'll go there and meet some girl with a round bum, and large titties, and then, you'll forget all about me!" 

Jeremy threw his head back and burst into a guffaw. 

"Good Lord, Cassandra!" Richard stared at her in shock. "Where in Hades did you learn to speak like that?" 

"Jeremy taught me," she declared with a tilt of her chin. "He said you like girls with big bottoms, and fat melons." She splayed her hands with the palm side facing a foot away from her chest to demonstrate the exact size. 

Richard paled visibly. 

"The hell, he did!" Allayne pinned reproachful green eyes at Jeremy, who abruptly stopped laughing, and feigned a saintly expression.