Chapter 2

English class went by pretty fast. We just got some free time.

As soon as they dismissed the sophmores, I was on my way to my locker.

I'm walking down the hallway, quickly scanning people's faces.

Don't like you, don't like you... You're alright, don't like you, HATE you.

I see my friend Whitney going the opposite way. I flash her a smile and she waves.

I speed down the stairs, and slowly entered my locker combination. When it clicks open, I put away my heavy english textbook and take out my lunch box.

"Jay-daaah," I hear from behind me.

"Daniel! Hey!" I exclaim, excited to see him.

"Whatcha doin'?" He asks.

I sigh. "Putting this stuff up," I close the door and turn to face him.

"Well, come on. I'm starving!" He says, rubbing his stomach.

I laugh and walk down the hallway with him.

"What'd you bring for lunch today?" I ask him. "I brought spaghetti,"

"Mmm... I brought steak," He answers.

"Steak?" I ask, surpised. "Really?"

He nods. "Uh-huh. We went out for dinner last night,"

"Lucky. I had cereal," I tell him.

"Haha, sorry," He laughs.

"So, how was your geometry test?" I ask.

"Eh, it was easy. Which makes me wonder if I did it right..." He replies.

"Yeah, I always think I'm doing it wrong if it's easy like that." I say, agreeing.

We head out of the lower B hallway and into the cafeteria.

There's shorter lines at the microwaves than usual.

I join the one at the very first microwave. The girl in front of me has 2 minutes left on her soup.

"Are we still gonna hang out on Friday?" Daniel asks.

"Uh yeah!" I answer excitedly. "I can't wait!"

"It's gonna be awesome- you, me, and FOOD," He says, his eyes widening.

I giggle. "So we're just gonna eat the whole time?"

"...YES," He says. "But we're gonna do EVERYTHING,"

"Like what?" I ask.

"Play video games, watch movies, have a nerf war, jump on the trampoline, and stay up ALL NIGHT!" He says, practically jumping out of his skin.

"I'm so excited!" I say happily. "But you forgot something."

He thinks for a second, and looks up. "What?"

"We're gonna do that investigation, remember?" I say, remembering what he told me last week.

"I'm never going back into my housr again." Daniel says as he catches up to me, his bright eyes wide.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I was watching TV downstairs, right? I wanted a snack so I got up and went to the kitchen to get something. When I came back, the TV was only showing static. I pressed every button on the remote, but the screen stayed the same." He explains. "So I went upstairs to get my phone so I could call my dad and see what was wrong with it. Before I got halfway up the stairs, I heard a really loud sound, like when someone leaves the speakers at the highest volume, and the music just bursts from it. I went back down, and the TV was at 65, the highest it could go on the volume. It almost felt like it kept getting louder. So I turned the volume back down to the normal setting. I got freaked out so I ran up to my room and locked the door, and I swear to God I heard the stairs creaking."