April: Masquerade

Start from the beginning

Looking around, I couldn't make out anyone. I felt Ethan reach for my hand as if the thought also crossed his mind. I spotted my parents, who were wearing their masks on their heads busy trying to make sure everyone else was having a good time. I walked over to them to say hi, as Ethan, Kathie, and Brent walked over to a vacant table near the dance floor.

"Mom and Dad, you guys look awesome. But why aren't your mask on?" I said chuckling. I knew they would feel uncomfortable wearing them, but at least they had them with them as an attempt.

"I can't see through it," my mom quickly said.

"It started to itch," my dad mumbled along with her.

I couldn't help but laugh, “It’s okay. It's the thought that counts."

"I really wish your sister would have invited more of the family, everyone I know fits at two tables," my mom mentioned while looking around at all of Kathie's friends.

"I know, but that's what she wanted." Looking around at the dance floor, I spotted my sister. "Let me know if you need anything, I'm going to go say hi to Roni."

"Okay sweetie."

My dad spoke up before I could get away, "Emma, she still doesn't know about her surprise visitor, so don't mention it, okay?"

I turned backed around to look at them, I forgot they knew about Derek coming, "Okay... Is he here yet?" I was hoping they would point him out to me and make this really easy for me, but there was no such luck.

"Haven't seen him yet," he responded while shaking his head. I felt the disappointment in me, surely he would come. If something came up, he would if texted me, so I quickly dismissed that idea.

"Ok, thanks. Later dad." I turned away in search of Roni again.

She was still on the dance floor surrounded by a group of ladies all dancing around her. Roni was in a beautiful black and white strapless dress, with dimensional red roses along the top trim. She looked amazing.

When I caught her looking my way, I waved to her, and she rushed over, throwing her arms around me.

"Oh my Gosh, about time!" she practically yelled in my ear.

"I know, sorry..." But before I could continue she started dragging me along introducing me to everyone in sight.  Friend by friend, she introduced me them.

After what felt like forever, I finally made my way back to where Ethan, Brent, and Kathie were seated. But before I could sit done, Kathie grabbed Brent and headed to the dance floor. Ethan looked up at me, extending his hand, "May I have this dance?"

Smiling, I happily accepted, placing my bag on the table; we headed to a spot near Kathie and Brent on the dance floor. Looking up at Ethan, I have to admit, he looked amazing.  I felt both happy and proud to know he was mine.  His black suit and black mask definitely made him look sexy as hell.

As a slow song started, I placed my arms around him, and started swaying to the music. 

“Did I mention you look absolutely gorgeous tonight?” Ethan asked looking into my eyes. His bright green eyes sparkled through the openings of the mask.

Chuckling, I couldn’t help myself and teased, “I believe you did, but it never gets old.”

That’s all it took for his smile to fully appear, dimples and all.

“Did I mention how handsome you look?”

“No,” now pouting like he had been waiting all night for me to say that. It took me a moment to respond, because in that second the only thing I could focus on where his full lips, as he pouted.