Chapter three

"Dae, there's someone at the door, can you get it!" A woman yells from the attic, where she is doing the laundry.

"I'm going mum!" A girl with dark hair yells back, hurrying down the stairs to open the door. A strange woman in a green type of dress is standing on the doorstep, a pair of severe glasses perched on her nose and a look even more severe in her eyes. This is a woman Dae knew not to mess with. "Good morning ma'am, can I help you?"

"Good morning miss Kimura, are your parents home?" Dae nods, yelling "Mum!" up the stairs.

"What's wrong?" A small blond woman in a pair of ripped dungarees comes bounding down the stairs, spots the lady on the doorstep and visibly deflates. "Madam McGonagall, come in."

"Mum?" Dae is confused, she's never seen this lady before and her mum seems to know her.

"It's alright honey, this conversation was going to come sooner or later."

"You mean you didn't tell her?" The woman looks indignant, as if the blonde lady had personally offended her.

"Of course not! We are living as muggles! You are picking her up here as if she's a muggleborn! Of course we didn't tell her!"

"Calm down, this is something to discuss over a cup of tea, no?" The lady in green says, and steps inside as if the house is her own home.

"You have no rights to tell me to calm down, Minerva!" The blonde woman looks furious, but turns to her daughter with a forced calm about her. "Dae, can you please put on a kettle for our dear guest?" Dae scurries away, trying to remove herself from what just took place and turns on a kettle in the kitchen. She hears the two women arguing in the living room.

"Thank you darling." Her mother pours three cups of tea.

"I still cannot believe you did not tell her, Julia."

"Tell me what?"

"This is what I mean!" The lady looks angry again.

"It's not like we could just go up to her and just say 'oh yeah, forgot to tell you you're a wizard and someone will come pick you up when you're eleven to go to a magical boarding school!'"

"Wait, what?" Dae is more confused than that she already was. "What did you say?"

"You're a wizard and you're going to a magical boarding school in Scotland." Her mother sighs tiredly.

"Yes, here is your letter, I will come pick you up here on the fifteenth of August to get your school supplies. Any questions? Then I will take my leave." The woman stands up and leaves like she's been in the house before.

"Goodbye?" Dae's too busy looking at her mother to care about the stranger who has turned her life around by just ringing the doorbell. She tries to come up with questions, as she has so many, but her mouth isn't able to produce words and she stutters a bit.

"I reckon you've got a lot of questions, don't you?"

"Yeah."

"You know what, I'll just tell you the whole story." Dae nods, so she continues talking. "I was born a squib, I have no magic of my own, in a pureblood family. This is the worst thing pureblood parents can imagine, it's a shame to have a squib child, but they told each other they would try concealing it, but when it turned out I was infertile after a doctor's appointment, they disowned me. I was put in the muggle adoption system, and was never adopted because I was already sixteen years old at the time." She pauses, and her daughter takes the opportunity to ask a question.

"What's a muggle?"

"A muggle is someone who doesn't have magic in their blood or family, like dad. I'm a squib, born into a magical family, so I do have magic in my blood and family, but not enough to cast spells or do anything with it."

"Right."

"But I wasn't adopted and started working immediately to make money and move out of the orphanange, and at twenty-one years old I met your father, who was a Japanese businessman on a trip for, well, business, and we clicked. He went back to Japan, where he decided to come back to Britain for me. It was all very romatic, but I was scared he would leave me if he ever came to discover that I was infertile, so it was one of the first things I told him when he came back, turns out he didn't care, and we married and decided to adopt you. It was a long process, but when we entered the orphanange, I was pulled to you, probably because of your magic attracting the tiny bit of magic I have. So we adopted you, and you did somestrange things, like levitate toys and such, so I told your father about my heritage, and we decided to keep it a secret from you, because neither of us could help you in developing your magic. And then McGonagall ended up on our doorstep. And that's the whole story, I think."

"Well, wow."

"It's unexpected and I hope you don't hate me for keeping this from you and I-"

"Mum, it's fine, I'm not mad! I'm just a bit surprised."

"Yeah, turns out mum is a pureblood, I should have sent you to prestigious classes to keep up the pureblood regimen!" Julia jokes at her daughter.

"You already sent me to French class every Saturday, I think you've fulfilled your role as proper pureblood mum."

"Well, I can't say I'm a proper pureblood, with ya know, the 'no magic' part."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm just happy you adopted me."

"I'm happy I did."