The Paths We Take {6}

Começar do início

                I looked down at it. It looked expensive, well-used but well cared for. I looked back up at Aaron, my grip on the lacrosse stick tightening. Regardless of whatever had shaken him during our moment in the car, now was not the time to let him gain another step over me.

                "No," I said.

                His lips twitched. "Are you refusing me, Kaz?"

                "I am," I said, still holding the lacrosse stick out to him. "He's never done anything to me. I'm not breaking it."

                Aaron reached out and snatched it from my hands. He tested it in his hands before swinging it around and catching my ankles.

                I fell backwards, my ankles stinging in pain. Aaron towered over me, the lacrosse stick slung lazily over his shoulder.

                "You're all pissing me off tonight," he said.

                He knelt down, setting the lacrosse stick on the ground in front of me. "Put your foot on it."

                I put my foot on it, more to test my ankle. Probably bruised, but that would be the extent of the damage.

                Aaron stood up and put his foot on the lacrosse stick. Then he gave a hard yank, so hard that it nearly knocked my foot off. The stick cracked, splitting open near the center. Aaron flicked his knife out and sliced through the netting on it, a clear cut down the center.

                I pulled my foot off the lacrosse stick and Aaron tossed it aside. I got to my feet and he moved towards the car again.

                "There, you helped me break it," he said, circling the car slowly, like a hungry predator.

                I looked at the lacrosse stick and shook the guilt from myself. He hadn't given me a choice. If I'd had a choice, I wouldn't have helped.

                "Aaron, you're going to set off the car alarm," Bruce snapped.

                Aaron ignored him and dug his knife into the side of the car, dragging it across. The car came to life, alarm blaring.

                Bruce cursed loudly and made a gesture to Vic. My heart was beating just as loud as the alarm.

                Aaron walked over and grabbed Bruce, throwing him up against the wall. Bruce hit the wall and knocked several things over as he fell to the ground, glaring up at Aaron.

                "What the fuck!" he cried.

                Aaron knelt down, getting eye level with his brother. "I told you that you pissed me off, Brucie. Be dad's little bitch all you want, but don't get in the way of what I want."

                He straightened up and left the garage. I hurried after him and the two of us jogged towards the car.

                Bruce came out a moment later, running to catch up with us. The three of us hopped the gate and threw ourselves in the car. Vic took off down the street and didn't stop until we were three blocks over.

                "You think you won't get caught if you leave me behind?" Bruce demanded, rounding on Aaron. We were all crushed together in the back seat.

                Aaron met Bruce's eyes with that dead expression he'd given his father yesterday. "You think I care if I get caught?"