To his surprise, John spoke suddenly. "That's not a nice thing to say, commenting on somebody's clothes. Mum says you shouldn't."

"Sorry," Sherlock said. "I- I didn't realise." He genuinely hadn't. 

"It's alright," John beamed and once again began talking. 

...

"- And my mum was a Slytherin. She says for sure I'd be in hufflepuff. I mean, I sort of agree. Hufflepuffs are good only for sneaking cookies from the kitchen, mum says. And I am a champion when it comes to finding the cookies my mum hides-"

Sherlock had mostly tuned out John's chatter. John was nice. But most of the stuff he said was kind of boring. But he had befriended Sherlock despite him offending him. And Sherlock was very grateful for that. The sky outside had darkened when an older boy, already in his school robes opened the cabin and announced that they had neared the school and they should get changed into their robes.

Sherlock pointed out (i.e. complained) to John how stupid their robes and hats were. But John was excited.

"But it's like Halloween! You need to dress up. How would get the feel if you learn magic in your knitted sweaters?" 

His logic was infallible. And Sherlock dressed in silence. They were told to leave their trunks as they boarded off at the Hogsmead station. A giant, hairy man with a lantern in his hands called for the first years with him.

"Is he from the school authority?" Sherlock asked John. John laughed as if he made the best joke in the world. 

"That's Hagrid, the game keeper. Mum likes him. He's a half giant."

"That's... cool."

Hagrid showed them into the boats. They had to cross a lake to get to the castle. Sherlock saw the older ones going into automatic carriages the other way. Why were the first years carried dangerously across the lake in the night while the older ones went safely in carriages?

He looked ahead to get the first look at his wizard school. Hogwarts.

It was a freaking castle. Huge and intimidating. Black spires and the lantern lights within gleamed in the darkness.

In the boat he sat with a blonde boy called Greg and a curly haired girl called Sally. Greg seemed easy going like John. They two struck an instant friendship. But Sally kept to herself. Only when they were talking about the school houses, she said she'd rather go back home than be anywhere but Ravenclaw.

"What's so special about that house?" Sherlock asked.

"It's the smartest of the houses," she said with her head held high. "Not like other houses. Especially the hufflepuffs," she glanced at John who was talking about it to Greg.

"It's also the snootiest," John commented, which Sherlock presumed another one of his mother's opinions. Sherlock knew that he would be sorted in Ravenclaw after Sally's words. But after John's comment, he didn't want to.

He didn't want to be in the same house as the Sally girl. He also didn't want to be away from John, his new friend, who he was certain won't be in Ravenclaw. No offence but John wasn't the brightest bulb.

They got off at the other side and Hagrid led them through a big door inside a hall. A witch with square glasses was standing there, some scrolls in her hand. She looked over the bunch of fist years and frowned. She checked the scrolls in her hand. The witch looked at Hagrid but he shrugged. Other kids were busy looking around but Sherlock caught the exchange. Was there any mistake? Could he go back to his home? He never liked his school but no matter how majestic Hogwarts looked, he felt very uneasy there.