Chapter 2

Regina, my mother, stepped out of the car; I followed.  Her eyes pierced my skin while I walked to the trunk and got my bright red suitcase.  She was worried that I would make a run for it.  I wasn’t going to run though, the sign look very real, and being a curious person; I want to check the camp out.  When I turned to her, she was strolling back to the car.  Her blonde hair was swishing across her back.  My hair is the same as hers, super blonde and super straight.  It is the only feature of hers that I have; the rest is all from my dad.  My nose, my bright blue eyes, my mouth, and even my ears are all his.

          My dad was my favorite person ever.  If his killer is ever found, I will get my revenge.  I will stab him through the heart, just as he did to my father.  But even the satisfaction I would get from that wouldn’t heal everything.  Not being suspected of the murder and almost being put in jail for it nor having to live with a woman who thought I killed her husband is worse than the sight of his stone dead body.  That crumpled body, covered in death still haunts my nightmares.  That lifeless body…..

          When I came back to reality, Regina and the car were gone.  I was all alone, standing in front of the welcome sign.  My red suitcase dragged behind me as I slunk into camp.

          The trees opened to a clearing next to a beautiful lake.  Nestled in the center of the clearing were different buildings.  One looked like a giant mess hall, others seemed to be cabins.  I approached a one story building right in the middle of everything else. 

          With I closer look, I noticed a sign on the wall of the brown building that read-

                                                                            Office

          The door was open ajar, to let the breeze in I assume; after all, it was 90 degrees out.  I stuck my head through and saw a pudgy lady sitting at an old table.  She looked up and I went opened the door all the way.  This “building” is basically just a room.  Everything fit in here nice and cozy.   

          “How can I help you?”  She sounded like she was bored out of her mind.

          “Hi, I’m Piper.  I got I letter inviting me to come here for a summer camp.”  I tried to sound as confident and professional as I could.  The lady typed on her keyboard and stared at her dinosaur computer.  She looked like one of the ladies that check you in at the doctor. 

          “Yes, here you are, Piper Kline.  Step outside and Bruce will show you the way to your room.”

          “Thank you.”  After I said that, I hurried out.  I was roasting in there!  To my left, I saw a tall man with brown hair.  “Are you Bruce?” He turned to face me. 

          “That’s me.”

          “The lady in the office told me you would take me to my room.”

          “What’s your name darling?” 

          “Piper Kline.” Bruce pulled a little black book out of his dusty jacket pocket.  He fluttered through the pages until he came to the page he wanted.  After just a glance at the page, Bruce shoved the book back in his pocket.

          “Okay, follow me.”  We walked past some more buildings.  Everything looked the same; Ugly, boring, and brown.  At one building, we stopped.  Bruce opened the door.  The sound of girls talking and giggling filled the air.  Cautiously, I stepped inside.  It was a one-story room, filled with bunk beds, lockers, and girls.  The walls were covered in hideous striped wallpaper.  With one more look around, I notice that all conversation had stopped, and all heads were turned to me.  Bruce awkwardly walked in and pointed to a bottom-bunk bed, saying, “This is your bed,” he then pointed to a rusty blue locker, “and this is your locker.”  He got up and left the room.  Everybody was still staring at me. I didn’t know what to do; so I went over to my bed and started unpacking.

          “What’s your name?” One girl with dirty blonde hair asked.

          “Piper, how about you?”  Everybody was still watching me, but I kept unpacking my things into my locker and pretended not to notice.

          “Jessica.” By now, the other girls had resumed their conversations. 

          “Cool, nice meet you Jessica.” 

          “You to, Piper. “ I don’t know why, but we both just started laughing.  Right then I knew that Jessica and I would be best friends.

          At exactly 7 o’clock, the dinner bell rang.  We all filed out of the cabin into the giant mess hall.  Unlike all the other brown buildings, the mess hall was bright red, my favorite color.  Inside, I looked up, the ceilings were so tall, a whole second floor could have been added.  Instead, there were beautiful wood beams.   Everybody sat down at their cabin table.  I saw 10 long tables for each cabin (5 girl tables, 5 boy tables), 20 people per table.  Math was never my best subject, but when I did the math, I got 200 campers. There is one big table up front for the adults, there are 30 of them.  Bruce was sitting there too.  The one guy sitting in the middle stood up, he looked like the person that ran the whole camp.

          “Welcome to Camp Eagle!”  He announced. “My name is Robert and I am the founder of the camp.  It’s our first year here, and all of you were handpicked to be the lucky first kids to come here for camp.” Some of the other kids cheered, but I just sat there, wondering when he would shut his yap so we could eat.  “When dinner is over, everybody will go back to their cabins for the night.  Lights out at 10 and at 7am sharp, we will eat breakfast.  I hope you all enjoy yourselves, let’s eat.”  The minute Robert said those last words, everybody at my table grabbed the food.  All the food was on the table and we got to pick what we wanted.  Turkey legs, apples, hoagies, orange juice, bananas, cheese, and SO MUCH MORE!  I went for some turkey, orange juice, and a fresh apple.  Nobody in the room was talking; we were all chowing down the food.  It was amazing!  When all the food was gone, they brought out a chocolate cake for each table.  Like everything else, it was heavenly.

          We all finished eating, so we had to come back to the cabin.  It was only 8 o’clock; we have some time to kill.  I walked through the door and immediately flopped down on my cozy bed.  Sleeping seemed like the second best thing in the world right now (The first being that chocolate cake we had for desert), but the other girls had other plans.  As they all screamed, giggled, and gossiped, I tried to go to bed.  Right as my head hit the pillow I heard a crinkling sound.  I sprung up and lifted my pillow; I found a folded piece of paper.  Nervously, I unraveled the paper.  A perfect handwritten note was there.  It said-

                                                            We are all in grave danger

                                                                    -Protector