Chapter 2

Independence Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Colony; 1775.

            While waiting for my employer, I paced the hall wanting to find out what the men inside the closed door were talking about. I suddenly had an idea. I looked down the hall and out each window to make sure no man would catch me. I raced to the door and pressed my ear up against it. With my ear on the wood of the door, I could almost hear each individual voice trying to discuss their own viewpoint of the situation. "And what do you suggest we do Mr. Jefferson?"
I heard a voice call out above the others. There was soon an eerie silence. A man cleared his throat and started to speak. "It is clear that King George will not comply with any of our actions. I, in turn, pose a new way to show King George that we have the right as Englishman to testify his rule."  "And how will you plan to show proof, Mr. Jefferson?"
The air was so silent I would have been able to hear a rat scamper across the floor. I moved even closer to the door than I already was. While moving I felt the door move away from me, as if it was opening. I tried to stable myself but instead fell onto the floor. I closed my eyes, fearing to look up for I knew not to stick my nose into my employer's life. I slowly opened one eye hoping to find no man in my sight. My eye, on the other hand, gave me another story.
"What in heaven's name is that boy doing here?" I heard Mr. Samuel Adams say rather forcefully. I was pulled from the ground and was held in place so I could not run. "State your reason of presence young man. Are you a spy for the King?" My tongue would not let me speak. Fear ran through my veins. No man would think twice to help me from my position.
"Atticus?" I heard an angry voice calling my name. I knew that voice anywhere. It was my employer, Benjamin Franklin. "Excuse me gentlemen... Atticus." Dr. Franklin pointed to the door. I led the way with my head hung low. I stopped in the middle of the hall and turned to face Dr. Franklin. Suddenly, I heard the large door of the assembly room slam shut. Loud footsteps soon followed, within seconds I saw two feet in front of my own.
             "I have told you many times to not stick your nose in other people's affairs. This time is especially important. I need to keep every word that is said in that hall a complete secret. Understand?" I slowly looked up at Dr. Franklin, "I understand. However, if I could help, I could deliver messages to the other delegates. My understanding is that the British are too self-arrogant enough to notice me." I stopped, realizing what I had just said. "I'm sorry sir; I don't know what came over me." Dr. Franklin's hand was soon on my shoulder, not in a harsh way, but in a friendly manner. "You may have something going for you lad. Follow me." He put his hand on my back and led us back to the assembly room.
"Gentleman, I have a new proposal." Every man in the room stopped and looked at Dr. Franklin. "And what may that be Doctor?" Mr. John Hancock asked. "This lad has given me an insight to an element that we are missing. A messenger. Atticus has told me that if you gentlemen would let him become the messenger for this Congress, we could get much more done in secret." Dr. Franklin stopped for a moment and looked at me as if to cue me to speak. "Any words Atticus?"
I froze. This man was insane! These men would never listen to me; I am just an eighteen-year-old apprentice. "How could he help if he is too shy to even speak to us now?" Mr. Samuel Adams laughed. I looked at Dr. Franklin for guidance. He gave me a small nod telling me it was okay to speak my mind.
"The fact of the matter is, as I told Dr. Franklin, no British man living here in the colonies would pass a glance to what I am doing. This will in turn leave me open to hopefully sneak information to each one of you men when a meeting isn't in session." I stopped, waiting to hear the responses of the delegates. "There is one small problem with your solution young man. Notes cannot be written down. If they would be written, there is a chance for the enemy to get hold of our advancements. And with the war already upon us, they will have a keen eye on young men like you." Samuel Adams took a step towards me trying to scare me.
It did not work. I took a step in his direction as well. "That doesn't scare me. I will do anything necessary to win this war against England. Decades after this war, young men like myself will be asked to lead this free country we are fighting for. That is the one reason, Mr. Adams, why I wish to help you."
There was a silence in the room. No one had ever expected me to talk that way to a delegate of the Second Continental Congress. Mr. Hancock's voice rang over the silence, "That is reason enough." He nudged his way from the back of the hall to get a better look at the young lad with courage.
"You have yourself a mighty fine apprentice here Dr. Franklin. I see nothing wrong with this young man helping in the cause. We all know, men his age are on the battle grounds as we speak. They are fighting for a freedom that weeks ago seemed nearly impossible to comprehend." I stood taller than I ever have before. "If you don't mind Doctor, could I borrow your apprentice? I may be able to use this young man's words to persuade young men and women to join the fight." Mr. Jefferson turned to me and asked, "How about it son? Would you like to help me straighten King George out?" I smiled; I was on my way to help overthrow the King of England from the colonies.
After the Congress was over, I raced back to Dr. Franklin's shop. I ran over to my desk and pulled out a sheet of paper, ink, and quill. I frantically wrote down some ideas for the revolution. "What are you doing Atticus?" Dr. Franklin walked up behind me. "I feel like if I write my ideas down I will be able to reference them again when Mr. Jefferson asks for my help."
Holding out his hand Dr. Franklin said, "May I take a look at it Atticus?" I handed the paper to Dr. Franklin. Fixing his glasses, he took a long look at what I had written. He looked at as if it was an abomination. He glanced over the top of his glasses and back at me. "Where did you conjure up ideas like this lad?" Dr. Franklin asked. "My father doesn't allow me to even speak about the revolution in our house. I am not free to speak my mind let alone help with the effort at home. This opportunity Mr. Jefferson gave me, lets me do what I feel is right for my country." Dr. Franklin handed me the paper back and looked at me with a hint of fear. "I appreciate your efforts lad, but what we do in Congress is more than mere words on a page. We stand for everything that will guide us on the path to liberty. Words will only help to increase our numbers; after that, it is up to our conscience."
I sat there soaking in every word Dr. Franklin said. I had never stopped to realize how much more the revolution needs. I seem to be challenged with creating my own team of young men to help in the war against the British. My future seems to be planned out for me with Benjamin Franklin's own words. "Words will only help to increase our numbers; after that it is up to our conscience." Those words will stay with me until I am lying on my deathbed, wherever that may be.