Chapter 10

Zevran wound his way through the Denerim streets in a fog, only vaguely aware of his direction. He reserved a small corner of his mind for watching for other Crows—he suspected Taliesin had come alone, but he could not be sure—but no one he passed gave him so much as a second glance. Still, he spent the better part of an hour wandering Denerim's market to see if he was being followed. As promised, he also notified Sergeant Kylon about the bodies in the alienage. It said something about the Sergeant's job that he showed no surprise about this news. He just gave a weary sigh and waved the nearest Guardsmen over.

Finally, Zevran's mind had cleared somewhat; he allowed himself to leave the bustle of the streets and return to the gate of the Arl's estate.

Leliana was standing by the fountain in the Arl's courtyard, her expression thoughtful as she hummed a little tune. She was out of her armor and in plain servant's garb. Zevran remembered that Naia had asked her to investigate Anora, as far as she could without being noticed.

The bard's face went white as she took in Zevran. "Oh, Maker. Where ..."

"Safe," Zevran assured her quickly. "They are having dinner with Naia's family. I ... encountered some unpleasantness. A former member of the Crows. I thought it best to let them have their meal in peace."

Leliana's lips parted. "I am sorry. The Crow—was he someone you know?"

Zevran stepped to the edge of the fountain. He stared into its waters as he tried to think of how to answer that. "Knew, and knew well. He was a friend. Or as close to that as I could have come, in the Crows." He took a breath. "But no more. Taliesin is dead."

When he looked over at Leliana, her face was sympathetic and sad. "Do you wish to talk about it? I, of all people, would understand."

"So you would." Zevran had not been there for the fight with Marjolaine, but he had seen Leliana's face afterwards, seen the potent mixture of relief and guilt in her eyes. He himself felt little guilt—Taliesin had given them no choice—but his mind still swam with confusion as he tried to puzzle out what his old friend's death meant. "I do not know what to feel. I regret that Taliesin could not be persuaded to leave well enough alone, but perhaps it has bought me some time. It will take months for the Crows to learn of what has happened in Ferelden. I could put quite a distance between myself and my last known location before they think to hunt me again."

"Will you?" Leliana's gentle voice was devoid of judgment.

The answer came easily. "No. I—I feel I must see this through. I would not abandon the Warden while her Archdemon still lives." Would Naia's awful nightmares finally cease, then? Of late, he had taken to waiting in her tent until the dreams came upon her so he could smooth her blankets when they passed. She needed her rest, and he did not want the cold to wake her.

He tried to reach for something like his usual insolent cheer. "Besides, if we succeed, we will become the stuff of your legends, no? Bards will sing of our heroism for generations to come. I would not miss the opportunity to have my name eternally on the lips of beautiful women."

Leliana laughed. "I expected that would be your answer. I doubt any of us would leave her side now."

"She does inspire loyalty," Zevran said, uncomfortable with the questioning look in Leliana's eyes. "I have often wondered how she does it. Does she merely smile that devastating smile at everyone, bewitching them at first glance?"

"Nothing so simple," Leliana said dryly. "I think—it is hard to put into words." Her brow knotted thoughtfully. "On the day I met her I think I must have sounded quite mad. A Chantry lay sister, covered in blood, insisting that the Maker had told me to follow the Wardens! But Naia offered her hand and welcomed me. All she saw was someone willing to put themselves in danger to help." She smiled a bit, as if she thought she might have solved a puzzle. "I think perhaps that is her secret. Faith. Not in the Maker, but—but in us. She trusts us, and in turn, we work to earn that trust."