6 - You know I'm blind

Hello lovely people! Here's chapter 6 all ready to be read. Oh, and it's dedicated to MoisinSonia for, well, liking this story I guess, and for being so nice!  

I'm hoping this chapter will give you a little more insight into Jade's character. Even though I always say this, I would love to hear anything you have to say. I got completely rained on today and I think by the time I got home I was more drowned rat than human, so I feel like after that ordeal I'd be totally cool with criticism if you have it. Although, nice words are always nice :)

Anywho, enough rambling, this chapter's song is All Around the World by Oasis

----------------------------------

Jade’s hand was throbbing.

She had never filled out so much paperwork in her entire life. She walked out of the Chief of surgery’s office, stuffing the giant book of rules and regulations into her handbag, and shook her head at what she’d just gotten herself into. She was absolutely hopeless.

Well, she was committed now, and actually excited about it. That rush she’d gotten when she’d met the kids earlier hadn’t gone away, and she hadn’t gotten any of those godforsaken Hamish-related emotions either. In fact, she was more determined than ever to give these kids as much fun as possible during her activity sessions.

Yup, everything’s going to work out awesomely.

Jade was hoping she could sneak out without visiting Laura. She felt awful about it, but she just wasn’t really up for anymore social interaction today. She was so emotionally drained she felt like a piece of limp lettuce.

“Jade?”

She almost groaned out loud. Of course it was Laura. She must have pissed off the fate people today.

“Hey Laura,” Jade turned around with what she hoped was a bright smile, “I was just coming to find you.”

Jade struggled to keep her expression from showing sympathy as she took in Laura’s ragged appearance. She had bruise-like bags under her eyes, and was wearing the same worn out tracksuit as the night before. Her hair looked as if someone had run a current of electricity through it. When had she last been at home?

Laura squinted at her, before saying “No ya weren’t you liar, you were tryin’ to sneak away!”

Jade didn’t know what to say. She felt awful, and shame marked itself on her cheeks. She opened her mouth to apologise but was interrupted with a snort as Laura unsuccessfully tried to supress her booming laughter. Its sheer volume had Jade stepping backwards in alarm.

“Oh lovey that was fun to watch you squirm! Don’t worry, it takes a lot more than that to raise my nettle. So,” she grinned widely, “are ya gonna run the activity sessions then? What’s the verdict ey?”

Jade was feeling decidedly uncomfortable, she hated it when people did that to her. Who makes people feel awkward, on purpose? Jade paused her stroppy train of thought, staring at Laura. Something was different in her today. Despite her appearance, energy was practically radiating off her and the grin on her face was way too huge for a stupid ‘make someone awkward’ joke (well, Jade hoped so anyway).

The surgery must have gone well.

“Did the surgery go well with, um, Jamie was it?”

“You remember his name! Oh you’re a cutie, and yes it did, oh it really did! They fixed him right up!”

Laura’s joy was so intense it seemed to be seeping out of her very pores as she struggled to hold her composure. She lost the fight, and Jade’s warm exclamation morphed into a strangled squeak of astonishment as Laura threw herself upon her, knocking the breath clean out of her lungs.