Chapter 26: Calm Before The Storm

Start from the beginning

“I am not a cat! I am a human being!” She swiped at his face with her free hand, attempting to scratch him. He easily caught her wrist and used her moment of inattention to finish tugging her across the counter.

Her hands still caught in his he held her hands behind her back, “You know I don’t believe I have gotten used to a woman who can beat me to death existing and I fear I have made a grave error in judgment.”

“You think?” She kicked backward, aiming for his knee cap. As expected his leg shifted backward to avoid the blow and using her trapped hands as leverage she threw him over her shoulder. When he didn’t release her though and she slid back over the counter to slam into the wall beside him she cursed under her breath. She landed in a very undignified position beside Sebastian.

Sebastian laughed, “This is far too much fun.”

“I really hate you sometimes.”

“Almost everyone does.” He frowned down at her hands, still encased in his much larger ones. “I have to say though you have learned to rein your temper in very well; however will I make you change now?” His red eyes glittered as he met her gaze.

“You won’t.”

“Oh?” He leaned forward until his face was scant inches from hers, his eyes darkening a shade, “Is that so?”

Kat felt her heart begin to beat a rapid staccato against the inside of her rib cage. Why was she nervous? The one who should be nervous is Sebastian.

The collar flared brightly as Sebastian leaned in closer his breath mingling with hers. He blinked with surprise when she stared back at him still slightly dazed. Why was she dazed? Before she could recover Sebastian picked her up by the scruff of the neck and carried her towards his room where he plopped her down on the bed. “Hold still please.” He began to rummage through his wardrobe.

“Why should I?” She hissed, her eyes darting to the still open door. Doing the calculations in her head she had a chance of making it to the door in her current state.

“I have something for you; someone forgot to mention something important. Believe it or not, I was not trying to irritate you all this time for my own enjoyment.”

“You had me fooled, so what occasion did I miss?”

He gave a small cry of triumph as he found whatever he was looking for, he came back and knelt by the bed, “Close your eyes.” He instructed.

Kat rolled her eyes and did as she was told. She felt Sebastian’s hands wrapping something about her neck.

“There now open.”

Doing so Kat looked down to see a bright red bow delicately edged in lace on her neck. “What’s this for?” She asked, pawing the edges with wonder.

“Your birthday idiot. Rhose asked me what I had gotten you a few weeks ago, I found this and have been trying to give it to you since.”

“Any reason I had to be a cat to do so?”
He frowned at her, “Do you have any idea how hard it is to get you to stay still long enough to get you to eat let alone receive a gift.”

Kat opened her mouth to argue but stopped, he was right.

“And Rhose would like me to tell you that in honor of your birthday I am to take you to town and buy you anything you would like. I have asked the Earl if it would be permit able to do so and he has agreed. We leave in the morning at six, I expect you to be ready to go in a suitable public outing outfit. I will be waiting at the stables.”