He shook his head and waved her off. She gave him a sharp look, but then just shook her head with a smile. Suddenly, he felt someone sit beside him. He looked over and saw Ryan. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" Ryan quickly asked. 

Carlton nodded and told him, "Of course." Ryan looked to Dani, then back to Carlton. "In private?" He asked. Carlton led him out of the banquet room and into a private hallway. "Are you alright?" He asked. "Is something wrong?"

Ryan shook his head, then let out a nervous laugh. "Um...look, I...I love Dani. I mean, I love her. She's everything to me and I can't see my life going on without her." Carlton's heart started beating rapidly in his chest. He knew where he was going with this. 

"Mr. Carlton...Ben...I...I want to ask permission to marry your daughter. I want to marry Dani." Carlton took a deep breath to calm himself. He felt like he was going to faint. "Uh...erm..." He cleared his throat and took one more deep breath. 

"Ryan...for seven years, you have been amazing to Dan. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see her so happy with you. I know I can be a bit protective over her, but that's only because I can't lose her like I lost her mother. I swore to myself when Cassie died that I wouldn't let anything happen to Dani."

Ryan nodded and nervously fiddled with his hands. "With that being said," Carlton told him, "I know she'll always be safe with you. I'm not going to always be around to protect her, but I'm glad she found someone that will. Yes, Ryan, you may marry my daughter."

The amount of relief that showed in Ryan's face was almost comical. "Oh my God," he breathed out. "Ben, thank you so much!" He hugged Carlton, then pulled back and said, "I have to go tell my parents!" 

Carlton chuckled and patted him on the shoulder before watching him run off. "Goddammit," he grumbled, wiping away a few tears. This was an incredibly emotional day. His baby graduated college and he just gave permission for her to get married.

"She's growing up, Hansen," he lightly chuckled to himself. "Our little girl is growing up."

**

A deep chuckle rumbled through Carlton's chest as he watched his nieces roll around on the floor. "Cass, get off your sister," Johnny chuckled as he handed Carlton a drink. "I swear, these girls. I hope the next one isn't this energetic." 

Carlton took a sip of his drink and let out a deep sigh. "They're beautiful girls," he said. "I miss Dani at this age. I remember when she would make a habit out of putting her diapers on her head and running around. She upgraded to pants about a year later."

Johnny laughed and shook his head. "Yeah, sounds like Dan," he said. Carlton finished off his drink, then suddenly felt his phone vibrate. "Oh, speak of the devil," he said. He answered, "Hey, honey."

"Daddy, oh my God!" She squealed. Carlton perked up and worriedly asked, "What happened? What's wrong?" His heart was beating in his chest as she squealed, "I'm getting married!"

Carlton let out a deep breath and rubbed his hand over his forehead. He let out a light laugh and said, "Wow, baby, that's...wow! My God, that's great!" He could feel tears prickling in his eyes.

"Getting married...that's so, so great," he continued. He heard her laugh as she said, "I know! Ryan told me he asked your permission! Thank you so much, dad. I'm so happy, I can't even right now!"

Carlton smiled and told her, "As long as you're happy, that's all I want. Listen, why don't you and Ryan come over tomorrow night and I'll make you some dinner? I'll do your favorite and we'll celebrate."

"Yeah, that would be awesome! Text me the time and we'll be there! I've got to go, we're going out to celebrate! Love you, dad!" Carlton smiled and said, "Love you, too, Pumpkin. I'll see you tomorrow."

He hung up and looked to Johnny. "My little girl is getting married."

**

Carlton hissed when his hand touched the hot pan in the oven. "Son of a bitch," he muttered. He grabbed the oven mitt, then pulled out the pan of lasagna. After taken out the garlic bread, he set everything up on the table. 

He set some champagne on the table with four glass flutes. He wiped his hands on a tea towel, then heard the doorbell. "Coming!" He called, as he jogged to the door. He opened it to the glowing, happy new couple. 

"Hey, guys--oof!" He laughed when Dani hit him with a large hug. "Hi, baby girl." He kissed her head and rubbed her back. "Let me see the ring." She quickly pulled back and showed him her hand. "Isn't it beautiful?" She asked. 

He smiled and ran his thumb across it. "It's gorgeous, love," he told her. "Come here, I'm so proud of you." He pulled her in for another hug, then went over to Ryan. "Thank you so much, Ben," Ryan told him as they hugged. 

Carlton pulled away, then looked to a beaming Dani. "For that smile," he said, "you are very welcome. Come on, dinner's on the table." He led them to the table and Dani gasped, "Oh, dad, this is amazing!"

She looked at the table with a smile, then said, "Um, dad, I think you added and extra glass here." Carlton saw the fourth champagne flute and lightly shook his head. "Oh, um...right." He picked it up and walked into the kitchen. 

He stared at the flute for a moment, wondering why he set it out. I set it out for Cassie, he realized. Why would I do that?  He put it away while shaking his head, then walked back to the table. 

"Alright, lovebirds...when's the wedding?"