"We were," she agrees after her laughter has died down. "However, I booked a taxi while I was waiting on you so we're getting a taxi home."

"Nash?" The middle-aged male taxi driver asks when we approach.

"Yip."

The male nods and prepares to move off as we get in the back of the taxi. I make myself comfy at the furthest away side of the seats, putting my shopping back down at my feet and placing my bag on my lap.

"Leslie Park Road in Croydon," Allison instructs as we merge into the traffic.

I look at Allison who smiles to herself and looks out the window at her side of the car. She's content and I can't help but think about the bill that's going to be at the end of this journey. I don't have the money in cash to pay for this taxi ride and after doing this journey by taxi once before but from a different part of London on a night out, I swore to myself I wouldn't do it again because it was that expensive.

I pull my phone out my bag and send a quick text to Allison without speaking up. I don't want to sound worried about money but seeing as I just paid an insane amount of money on a dress I will only wear once from my savings, I can't afford to pay for unnecessary things like a taxi ride.

To: ALLISON NASH

How are we going to pay for this taxi when we get to mine? xx

I wait for Allison's response, watching her as she reaches into her bag and pulls out her phone. She looks at me after reading the text and rolls her eyes before responding.

From: ALLISON NASH

My treat ;) You can buy lunch and dinner tomorrow to make up for it xx

I shake my head as I read the text.

I knew there was a catch somewhere and that's just it. I don't mind buying lunch and dinner tomorrow because I know adding the two of them up will come to a lot less than what this bill will come to.

I don't quite know what time it is in the morning. All I'm aware of is my phone ringing and vibrating away on the nightstand next to me and I reach for it as quick as I can so it doesn't disturb Allison who's sleeping away in the next room.

I squint my eyes as I look at the screen and the unfamiliar number on the screen. I almost don't want to answer it but I do so whoever it is phoning me at this ridiculous hour can get an earful of my anger at being woken up.

"Hello," I answer, my voice groggy and sleep filled. I'm not fully alert and fall back onto my back with my phone held loosely to my ear.

"I woke you up, didn't I?"

I know that voice anywhere even though I'm still half asleep.

"Of course you did, Luca." I respond. I rub my eyes and blink a few times. "It's just gone-" I look round at the digital clock next to my bed at the red numbers that are shining away. "-three in the morning here. Why are you calling me at three in the morning?"

"I forgot the time difference. It's only ten at night where I am."

My eyes drift closed and I snuggle deeper under the duvet once more. "And where are you now? I thought you were in Barcelona."

"I was," he says. For all I can't see him, I know he's nodding away in agreement. "I was only there for an hour or two before flying to New York."

My eyes open at the sound of his new location for work.

He's in New York. That's further away than what I thought he'd actually be. I thought he'd only be somewhere in Europe which isn't that far from me. I didn't think he'd be away back to his home in a different part of the world from where I am.

"I thought-"

"Business wrapped earlier in Barcelona than I expected and I had an impromptu meeting in New York that couldn't wait." He fills me in on his travels easily. Almost like it's to put my mind at ease and to assure me that I'm not far from his thoughts no matter where he is in the world. "If everything goes to plan over the coming days, I should be back in London before the weekend's over."

I turn in the bed. "You don't need to rush back here."

"I know I don't have to, but I have some important things to deal with when I get back."

"You sure do get about, Mr. Madden."

I can feel myself begin to drift off once more, my grip on my phone growing slacker and slacker with every passing second.

"I'm a businessman, Miss. Fletcher. It's what I do."

"So you keep saying," I yawn.

"I'm sorry I woke you up," he says sweetly. I hum lightly which has him chuckling slightly. "I'll let you get back to sleep, Kaylee. I'll speak to you soon."

"Alright," I murmur.

"Night, Kaylee."

"Goodnight."

I let Luca end the call from his end and throw my phone onto the bottom of my bed. I snuggle deeper under the duvet and drift back off to sleep.