Chapter 7: The Artistic Skeleton

En başından başla

"Sorry about that but I had to check if you were feeling any better."

Ink ruffles the fur on your head and you make a face at him, making him laugh. He leans back with a content sigh and you start to hear soft echoes. Pricking your ears up, you lower your head to the unusual flowers and surprisingly, they repeated Ink's sigh. You poke one of the flowers with a paw and Ink perks up with interest. Ink picks one up from the ground as you watch and continue to tap the flower with your paw.

"These are called Echo flowers. They repeat whatever they last heard," Ink explains. He thinks for a while and shakes his head but then he whispers something into the Echo flower. Holding it up to your ear, you could feel his gaze waiting for a reaction. You hesitantly lean towards the flower and you hear a soft voice whisper.

"Your soul is unique and your personality is caring. Please, forever keep it that way..."

You pulled away from the Echo flower slowly and you could feel your fur warming up in embarrassment. You turn towards Ink with slight question in your eyes. Ink just turned away with a timid smile, trying to hide the soft rainbow hue dusted on his cheeks with his scarf. He stood up and you stood up as well. At least a million questions swarmed your mind.

"Lets head to someplace we can stay. Don't worry, it shouldn't be very far..." Ink mumbled, trying to avoid your gaze.

You follow Ink through the passageways and around the waterfalls. You tried to avoid your gaze from Ink as well but you took a quick glance at his expression, curious to see if he still had rainbow dusted on his cheeks. Apparently, you and Ink had the same idea at the same time and ended up meeting each other's gazes. Your gaze locked with his for a couple good seconds and Ink switched the direction of his gaze down. The rainbow darkened and you looked in the opposite direction. You could feel your heart quicken and you couldn't help grinning like an idiot.

Something warm and fuzzy resonated within your chest and you couldn't lie, it felt comforting.

~~~~~Time skip to Snowdin...~~~~~

After a long silence of walking, the awkward moment was trying to be forgotten by the both of you. Although you trusted Ink in bringing you to a safe place to stay, something was sickly familiar about the route you were taking. The cave hummed eerily and your fur stood on end. You and Ink entered a small chamber with a wooden stand or post in the corner and beside it was a lone Echo flower. Ink slowed to a stop to gaze around thoughtfully.

"We should be close to Snowdin now," he looked distant, smiling ruefully.

You decided not to question his action and you paced ahead. Unease pricked you fur uncomfortably as you entered a larger cavern. A waterfall flowed freely not far up ahead and the steady stream ended at a massive drop. Despite the calming sound of flowing water, two particular phrases haunted your mind.

'Found you, liar'

Your chest tightened, your breath turned into quick sharp ones. Ink runs up to you, kneels down, and glances at you with concern. Worry shined clearly in his expression.

"Are you okay? We're almost there so try to relax," he urged calmly.

'The reason is because we're almost there!' You wanted to howl in desperate panic but instead, you gulped down the cold air that wafted in from the cave entrance. You didn't want to concern Ink anymore so you had to face him sometime soon. You moved ahead with Ink right beside you as you cross the stream from the waterfall. The cold water drenched your paws but you were too nervous to notice. It didn't really matter anyways because the snow would melt beneath them as well.

It seemed to take an eternity just to cross the border between the stone ground and the snow. The small, cozy town looked deserted, a lonely Christmas tree stood at the center. The recent smell of fear sent guilt through you. Ink stared blankly ahead, shocked yet not shocked.

"I guess we're here," Ink whispered. Your tail lowered subconsciously.

Ink trudged through the snow and you were cautious to stay behind him. A couple meters ahead, a figure walked out of a familiar wooden house, wearing a way too familiar orange. He turned his head right, towards the town and then left, right in the direction of you and Ink. Papyrus gave Ink a calm stare but then his gaze landed on you. His eye socket lit up into a brilliant orange flare and he smiled ruefully.

"Well, well, well," he laughed dryly. "Guess who came back..."

Welp, that went from really cheesy to oh shoot. I appreciate all the support from those who have taken an interest in this so far. The chapters may take longer to update sadly but I'll be sure to keep working on it. Happy late Easter to those who celebrate it! Thanks for reading and have a good day/night! Wolf, out~