Chapter 1: Prada to Nada

Isah Minerva's POV

Its already 1:00 in the morning and my dad is still not home. I could hear my mom is crying downstairs. I know that something is wrong but no one is telling me.

'Sweetie?'

Mom asked as she enter my room. Halatang umiyak nga sya. Her eyes are puffy and red and her cheeks are blushing. I was expecting that she'd say something to me. Something important.

'Why arent you sleeping?'

My mom asked me. What is wrong with her? bakit hindi nya masabi?

'Is dad finally home?'

I asked. *sigh* why would I ask that? In situations like this , dapat tinanong ko na kung anong nangyayare. Im so stupid.

'Are you waiting for him?'

My mom asked like she didn't know. Instead of answering I just replied with a sad smile and a pout.

'Dont worry. Dad will be here soon.'

She said with a reassuring smile. I cant believe she's hiding something from me. I hate it.

'When will he come back?'

I asked innocently. I cant control my mouth , its like its talking by itself. I should've asked her what I wanted to ask.

'Dont wait too long. Dad will be here anytime soon and he'll bring a surprise gift for you.'

My mom said while smiling. Thats the most stupid smile I've ever seen. Its fake.

'Really?!'

I asked excitedly while smiling. Now thats the most stupid question I have ever given. What is wrong with me?

'ofcourse. So if I were you , matutulog na ko.'

I then lay back and my mom helped me put my blanket on me.

'Mom? can you sing me a lullaby?'

I asked while pouting.

'I remember a girl who promised me that she'll never let me sing a lullaby anymore unless she's all grown up.'

She said while smiling and then she looked at me teasingly. Its like nothing is happening. Its like everything is fine.

'Am I all grown up?' I asked

'Youre 6 today and you said thats when the time na malaki ka na.'

My mom said while giving me a chuckle to tease me. How can she smile at times like this?

'I did?' I asked.

'Dont worry sweetie. I'll still sing you a lullaby.'

She said while smiling. My face brightened up , but its not supposed to.

'Sweetie?' She asked as I saw something fall from her eyes. Tears.

'yes mommy?' I asked

'Can mommy just hum tonight because my voice is not feeling well.' She said with the tears falling from her eyes.

'sure mommy.'

I said then I closed my eyes. I can hear little sobs between my mom's beatiful hum. I can tell that she's in pain. And they still not giving me any clue why. I dont know what to do , so I just pretended asleep and pretended I dont see her crying. Every little sob of my mom while managing to give me a lullaby , it breaks my heart.

'hmm hmm hmm hmm .. '

I heard her stopped humming when something must have broke down our door downstairs. Kinabahan ako , I wanted to get up and cling with my mom but I couldn't move. I can feel her lean towards me and kissed my cheeks as she whispered ..