"Thank you for doing that."

"There's no point thanking me," his slight smile vanishes entirely. "I still couldn't help you, I couldn't carry you to safety myself, I couldn't touch you."

"I don't need your touch, just you here is enough." I say, climbing out the covers to sit even closer to him.

"But I do, I want to be able to touch you, I wanted to grab you at the party, push you behind me to protect you, carry you outside, punch those guys. I want to be able to hold you, to comfort you when you're sad, I want to-" He leans closer to me, his eyes on my lips. "I want to be able to kiss you."

I take a sharp breath as if there was no more air in the room. I hesitantly look at him. I feel my body leaning in to him, our attraction so evident now.

Soon our faces were inches apart, his eyes searching my face, my neck, my body, my lips.

My body radiates heat, our foreheads almost touching. My ears have a rushing sound, deafening the sound of my sharp breathing.

His hand crept to be next to my bare leg, his other, brought up next to my cheek, as if he was stroking it.

My breathing quickens, my eyes wide. He leans in more, moving his head towards my neck. I stretch my neck out, allowing him to almost nuzzle it, just as though he was placing tiny kisses up to my jaw.

My body trembles for his touch. His lips travel closer and closer to mine, and I was surprised to realise my lips were already parted. My heart flutters as his eyes look into mine, now a dark blue full of lust and desire, no doubt mine the same.

"I wish I could touch you," he whispers, his lips almost on my own.

A blush sears my cheeks, almost as if my face was on fire.

He slowly draws back, giving a slight cough to clear his throat. His eyes fall to the bed beneath us.

I suddenly feel awkward and coy. I take a sharp breath and look around the room, as if to distract myself from him, to engage in something else that would end the awkwardness that has now spread between us.

My legs are pressed together, my arms have goosebumps and I have no idea what to say to him.

"I shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry." His voice sounds gruff.

I swallow and clear my throat, "it's fine."

We don't look at each other, and I bring my knees up under my chin, wrapping my arms around them. I feel cold now that the heat from my body has gone, but I daren't move to pull the surrounding covers around me.

"Obviously we both want something we can't have."

"Obviously," I say, giving a short forced laugh.

"I don't think we should let it get like that between us again, it's too-"

"Painful? Hard? Heartbreaking..." I trail off, my voice breaking.

"Leah," he breathes, sighing.

"It's okay Casper, I know." I pause and finally look into his beautiful eyes, "I know."

He smiles, "now get back under those covers, you're freezing."

I give him a slight grin back before quickly shoving myself under the covers, immediately warming up.

The awkwardness lifts, and Casper crawls over to lie next to me. But he leaves a distance between us. I open my laptop and put on Netflix. We lay there like that for a few movies, just as if we were friends who'd known each other for years.