Chapter 1: Mercy

I couldn't sleep that night.

It was pure darkness other than the moonlight that shone through the small cracks in the wall. I raised my hand until the glow just barely grazed my fingertips. I lay there staring until my eyelids began to grow heavy and I struggled to stay conscious. Suddenly a shadow passed over from outside, a few seconds later it was followed by another. Despite this fact I heard nothing; not even the slightest sound. Perhaps it was just my exhausted mind playing tricks on me. I'd grown too tired to stay awake and finally let sleep's comforting grasp take hold of me. I don't recall if I dreamed that night and if I had it would be non-consequential, for I was only a child.

Upon awaking the next morning I found that I was alone. My mother and father had vanished, leaving everything behind including me. It was almost as if they had never been there at all but I knew that couldn't be true, for my mother had sung me a lullaby the night before. I remember her sitting there on the side of my bed and even now that song replays in my head. I can't recall her face or even her name but that song...the melody never ceases to plague my mind.

I'd never felt so terrified; so empty. They'd never done this before. Every time they left they brought me with them. Maybe they figured I was old enough to stay home alone, I'd thought. That was the only logical explanation.

The closest village was fourteen miles away, a journey I'd never attempted without my father. Me being the resilient child I was decided to go there and find out where my parents had gone. After all they couldn't just abandon me, could they?

"You look like you're in deep thought," a familiar voice tore me from my flashback.

I looked up to see Arix staring down at me with his arms crossed. A typical smirk was painted on his defined features. Funnily enough it was the same expression he'd had the first time I met him all those years ago. It was sort of his trademark, I suppose. He didn't mean it in a condescending way; well not usually. I considered him the older brother I never had and our relationship reflected that.

"That's because I am. Something I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with."

Arix let off a slight laugh in response. "Don't worry, I can't sleep tonight either."

"Oh yeah? And why is that?"

My counterpart took a seat next to me on the stainless steel bench that spanned the length of the hallway. "Master Imperius has entrusted me with a high priority task in the morning. A diplomatic mission to a small planet on the Outer Rim."

"Diplomatic, you say? How intriguing," I remarked sarcastically.

"You know if you took matters more seriously you'd get asked to do these things as well, Lycan."

Smiling, I replied, "Now where's the fun in that?"

Arix put his hand on my shoulder closest to him. "You should come with us, you never know what might happen. Rumor has it the Republic's already sent envoys there. Might turn into a fight if we come across them; especially if the Jedi show their faces."

"I do love a good fight..." Nodding my head, I continued, "I'll come with. Just don't expect me to do much of the talking."

"I never do," Arix laughed and patted me on the back before standing and striding back down the long passage. After walking several steps he turned back, "Try to get some rest, just be ready to go by sunrise."

I remained silent as Arix spun around and once again began to walk away. Truth is I didn't care much for diplomacy. I found all the long speeches and even longer negotiations to be rather dull. Perhaps that's why Arix was the one being groomed to succeed Imperius as Emperor but fortunately that didn't bother me. No, I had far more love for the thrill of combat and had been itching for the next chance to use my sabers. All I hoped was that we'd get lucky and run into someone worth using them on.

***** To be continued, this chapter isn't finished yet! *****