Part 5 of 7 - Borrowing

Start from the beginning

Esmona followed the path of her finger. "You're looking for something underwater," she realized. "But how?"

That was the question. "Isn't finding sunken treasure something pirates do?"

"In romanticized stories, perhaps," Esmona scoffed. "Spending all our time searching for treasure other pirates have buried is unrealistic." She wrapped her fingers around the glass wall rimming the balcony. "Although there were a few crazies who got it in their minds to search the seas for who knows what fool's flights of fancy. Captain Tanzos was quite the character."

That was a familiar name. Tanzos had tried to join the Malum and had been laughed out of the group. Normally power seekers were humored or killed, but Tanzos had deserved neither outcome. Supposedly, he had turned his non-existent talents toward piracy and fortune-amassing. Shrilynda had been too busy with war to bother worrying about him.

Esmona added, "He spent the end of his life building a useless submarine that now sits rusting on the docks."

"The docks of Seavale?" Shrilynda clarified.

Esmona tossed her colorful head in a nod. Quita grabbed a chunk of her red-streaked hair as it fluttered past her and tugged. Esmona handed her another peanut.

"Is it seaworthy?" Shrilynda asked.

Esmona did her half shrug. "Hard to say. The Crocodillo gang took up residence in the old relic some time ago. They always thought themselves pirates, amassing useless pirate cast-offs in an attempt to buy respect. They've been oddly quiet lately; I was supposed to check on them before you arrived."

"A submarine would be quite useful," Shrilynda decided.

"You're planning to walk up to the Crocs and ask them for their submarine?" Esmona asked, mirth bubbling through her voice.

"You've implied they're even more incompetent than the Ingobernables," Shrilynda replied.

"I did," Esmona agreed. "But they are on edge right now."

"Are you implying you'd have more success?" asked Shrilynda. "If you'd like to steal a submarine, I'm not opposed."

A smile stretched across Esmona's face, matching the glint in her eyes. "That depends. Is this search for a powerful magical talisman in my interests?"

"What are your interests?" Shrilynda asked. "Power? Magic? Immortality?"

Esmona tipped her head. "Are you offering?"

"It's all work," Shrilynda warned. "And quite often the only reward is survival."

"Such is life," said Esmona with her shrug.

The truth was, Shrilynda could use someone to manage the pesky monkey. And if that someone could procure her a submarine, all the better. Keeping Esmona and her magical blood close by could only be beneficial, unless the pirate was holding a grudge over being nearly strangled to death by a Malum ward.

She eyed Esmona, evaluating. If the pirate attempted a betrayal and needed to be killed, so be it. Until then, there was no drawback to having a novice dark magician calling attention away from the hunt for Shrilynda. Unlike many megalomaniacs who had come and gone, Shrilynda had no desire to be the Only or the Most Powerful. She just wanted the Glade, and she wanted the royal family to suffer. She had come so close to both goals so many times.

Those white edges had crept back in, and her hands were trembling slightly. She pulled her arms into her robes and took a steadying breath. Yes, Shrilynda was a fan of short term alliances, and Esmona was the best available to her.