22. White Dress Became Red

Comenzar desde el principio

"In my medical opinion,I would recommend you to not waste time."

"Names!" I ordered.

"Son--"

"Dr. Derek Shepherd and Dr.Cristina Yang."

I pulled out my phone and made phone calls.

"Does my wife have an hour?"

"Yes b--"

"Okay, Shepherd and Yang will be here in an hour. I will be flying them out here."

That hour was the longest hour of my life. Two doctors ran into the waiting room and towards the front desk.

"We're here for Dakota Maxwell."

"She's my wife, you must be Dr.Shepherd." He nodded and extended his hand. I shook it.

"I never ask for anything especially favors, but if you save my wife I will owe you guys so much. Not only will I show my gratitude towards your hospital, but also towards you guys."

"Mr.Maxwell we will try our best to save your wife. It's a beautiful day to save lives." He said.

"Let's go Derek." Dr.Yang instructed and they both ran into the ER.

"Son everything will be fine. She's strong. Hell she survived after every bump in the road she will get over this."

"D---"

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?" Before he was able to answer I charged at Dakota's father. Both my sister and father had to pry me off of him.

"You have no damn right to be here!" I yelled at him.

"She's my daughter, of course I have a right." He said wiping his busted lip.

"No, she's not your daughter. You're a bloody sperm donor. This is all your fault get out!" I yelled.

"Honey, let's go!" The woman who was right to him said.

"Yes, listen to your home wrecker." I sneered.

"Son, please stop. This is not helping Dakota." My father said. He was right this was not making matters better.

"Sir, I will politely ask you to leave. My son is right, you are not and were never a father for her. I walked her down the aisle because she sees me more as a father than you and I see her as my own daughter, and with what I've heard you harmed my daughter. So if you can find yourself out of here I would appreciate it. Now, please leave before I let my son beat your ass and before I find the awful necessity to move my contacts around and destroy you." My dad said very calmly. My sister and I were shocked to hear my father speak like that. He was so calm yet his eyes were raging with hatred and anger it was a scary look.

The sperm donor without further argument grabbed his wife and walked off.

We waited for what felt was an eternity. My father and sister fell asleep in the waiting room, but I could not find myself going to sleep. I continued to pace back and forth, until I was dragging my feet. I finally sat down and looked at my phone it was 10am. We've been at the hospital for almost 12 hours. I was about to go ask the nurse how the surgery was going when Dr.Yang and Dr.Shepherd walked out.

"How is she?" I asked.

"I was able to fix her aorta without any complications" Dr.Yang said. I felt a burden lift off my shoulders.

"Okay, how did the other surgery go?" I asked looking at Dr.Shepherd.

"We were able to stop the bleeding, but there were some complications."

"What complications?" I asked.

"The bleeding went further than what the MRI showed. I stopped the bleeding, but there could be possible problems."

"Such as?"

"Loss of speech and sight, but there is the bigger possibility of her waking up with no kind of memory."

"What will the worst outcome be?"

"The worst thing that can occur is for her to not wake up at all." That burden that I felt leave my arms just a minute ago returned, and heavier than ever.

"Okay, so what can I do?"

"The only thing left to do it to wait, and to hope for the best."

"Thank you, when can I see her?"

"In a few minutes, we will come back to get you."

"Thank you."I said and they both nodded and gave me reassuring smiles. They walked off leaving me in a waiting room where I begged god to wake Dakota up.

"Son what did they tell you?" My father asked. I turned around to see him still sitting down because my sister was still asleep and her head was on his shoulder.

"They fixed her heart, but there were complications with the brain surgery. She can wake up with all these deficits, or not wake up at all."

"She's going to be fine why don't you go home? Go eat, shower, and sleep for a bit I'll stay here." I looked at my appearance. My tuxedo was covered in Dakota's blood.

"No, I'm staying here. I'm seeing her in a few minutes. You can go I can power through."

"Son, you're tired. You've had a long rough night."

"You're tired too, plus look at my sister she's asleep. Just take her home. I'll go home in a few hours to shower, change, and eat."

"Okay, then let me wake up your sister. Go get coffee or something." I nodded and began walking towards the cafeteria. As I was walking over there I stopped at the sight of the beautiful small chapel. There were dozens of candles lit.

The chapel was empty so I decided to make my way inside. I sat in the benches and just looked at the Jesus figure that was right in front of me.

"You know I don't pray," I whispered.

"I don't know how to pray." I admittedly said.

"I never had to pray, or I used to when I was a younger. I use to ask for my mother to come back but you clearly never listened to my prayers because she's not here, clearly."

"I know that you know I'm a terrible human being. You know I treat people terribly that I do not care for people's well-being except if they are my family. You know I'm not an angel I'm probably the devil's kid, but here I am asking you for something. I am asking you to allow me for once, to be happy. My happiness is that woman who is fighting for her life up there. You know that once she came into my life I was not the same. She gave me the peace I have forever wanted. She's given me a reason to smile, and to look at life in a different perspective. I want a life with her. I want to experience life at is fullest with her. She deserves to see the beauty of the world after how terribly life has treated her. If you do not want to do this for me do it for her. You owe her. "

"You can't take her. Please don't take her." My voice cracked and for the first time since my mother left me I cried.