CHAPTER ONE

One word can break you. It could turn your whole world upside down. It could take all of your happiness. Cancer. Then there's another word. This word can give you back what Cancer took. This word could give you your life back. Chemotherapy.

Here's the catch.... you loose your hair. This isn't what happened to me, but my cousin Lyla. Her mom and dad died when she was two so my parents adopted her. Two years later they discovered she had stage two Lukemeia. Lyla started Chemotherapy when she was eight. She loss her hair six months later. She is now ten, she still has her cancer and she has a chemotherapy appointment today at three.

Last night she was so sick she was up until three in the morning. I know this because my mom works the night shift and my dad works the day shift. I stayed up with her, I take her to her appointments, I hold her hand when she gets shots or gets blood drawn.

I'm seventeen so, I have my drivers license. For now I'm at high school and she's at elementary school. I love that she isn't ashamed of her cancer, she doesn't wear wigs, she just wears a bandanna when she's cold.
Someone's fingers snap in front of my face snapping me out of my dazed inner rant.

"Miss. Taylor is everything okay?" My history teacher asks.

"Yes ma'am, i-i had a late night." I yawn. She shakes her head in disapproval.

"You wouldn't be tired if you weren't up all night parting instead of getting sleep." If you call partying a eleven year old girl throwing up, and her crying, you are very interesting.

She walks away and continues talking about her cat, how is this related to history? I dont know. I hope Lyla isn't feeling too tired, tonight's sister movie night. Her favorite night every week.

"Mr. Steele glad you could join us." Mrs. Jackson says sarcastically to Christian Steele, Diana highest bad boy. An egotistical poor excuse for a man, and rude as hell.

"Me too Mrs.J."  He grins. I absentmindedly stare at the window while I think of what the doctor will say. The bell rings, grabbing my bag I take off running to the parking lot and my car.

"Hey Miss. Taylor." A guy says in a sing- song voice.

"Leave me alone." I mutter. It's two now her appointment is at three one more hour until we know that she can have surgery.

"Oh come on Baby girl,  why don't you wait a while?" He reaches for my arm but I pull it away.

"I'm running late for-for for-for, uh" I can't think of an excuse.

"Nothing, except your Mommy and Daddy." He brings his hand to his eyes and starts fake crying. In middle school when we found out Lyla had cancer I still went to school but I cried in my classes. Everyone called me Crybaby Liz.

"Get a life." I mutter pushing by him outside.

"Yo! Liz! You forgot your tissues!" He yells and laughs at his own joke. I just roll my eyes and walk past him right out the door to my car and then to Lyla's school.

"Hi, I'm here for Lyla Taylor." I greet the secretary, Ms.Lewis.

"Hi Elizabeth. Go ahead and sign her out while I call." I block out my surroundings until I fished the paper in front of me.