I nod once and a grin begins to play on Deaton's face.

"Well that explains why you're here." He chuckles.

"How do you know about our kind?" I asked still serious.

"Well, ninety-five percent of the time I treat animals such as cats and dogs." He says before he looks me straight in the eyes, "The other five percent though..."

I could feel my heart pick up slightly. This man was a caretaker for werewolves? I knew they existed but I had no idea there was one in Beacon Hills. Even though this person was supposed to help our kind, I still didn't trust him completely.

"Word travels very fast when there is a new alpha. But, word travels faster when that new alpha already has a mate." Deaton suddenly says.

My eyes narrowed as I watched Deaton. That's when I noticed that he didn't seem to want to move from behind the counter. I stared to lean against the counter but stopped when I felt something stopping me. It was as if there was an invisible force pulling me back and it didn't take me long to realize what it was.

Deaton watched me as I moved back.

"It's Mountain ash that's stopping you." Deaton said and now I was beginning to feel uneasy myself.

Mountain ash is a specific tree ash that is used to ward off werewolves. It has other negative effects of werewolves as well but it was mainly used to keep beings like me out. It was impossible for me to cross.

"Don't worry. It's for my own protection, nothing else," Deaton chuckled.

I opened my mouth to speak but he interrupted me.

"How is she?" He suddenly asked, a slight hint of genuine concern was written across his face.

At first I was confused because the quick change of conversation but I was quickly back on track.

"She's safe now." I replied.

"She seemed as if she was going through a terribly painful shift when I found her." Deaton said as he began to move some papers around on the counter.

I didn't say anything at first, not sure if it was a good idea to tell him that Emily didn't shift. But then again, he could have information about what happened to her as well.

"I couldn't help but notice that she wasn't healing properly when I saved her from that hunter," Deaton said as if he was suspicious, interrupting my thoughts.

"She didn't shift. Something happened that I can't explain. I was hoping that you would have some answers." I said.

Deaton looked at me with a confused expression.

"What do you mean?" He asked as his eyes narrowed, "She was showing every sign of a shift I have ever seen. In fact, she looked like she was going through one of the worst shifts I have seen in a while."

"She was in so much pain both from the full moon and what that hunter did to her." I took a deep breath as my fingers balled into fists, "Her pain, and possibly the moon, caused her eyes to change."

"Change?" Deaton asked as his eyes narrowed even more.

"They were tainted with red." I said, my voice dropping lower.

Deaton's eyes widened and he seemed to go tense. I could feel my heart beat quicken once again at his reaction. Does he know something I don't?

"Im sorry but I need to get going," He said calmly after a few seconds but his heart beat betrayed him. I could hear it pounding loudly in his chest.