Chapter 3

Nick's POV

Nick was very jittery the following morning at the precinct and the fact that they didn't have an active case to focus on made it that much worse. When lunch time came around, he was about ready to hit his head against the wall to get rid of all the thoughts plaguing his mind.

O: Nick, do you want to get out of here and grab some lunch?

N: Uh, no sorry. I think that I need to be alone?

O: No, that's okay as long as you come back okay.

N: I'll try. See you guys in an hour.

...

A: What's wrong with Nick? I thought he'd be happy that we've solved this case.

O: He's just figuring a few things out.

A: Maybe I should go talk to him.

O: No. Let him be Rollins, he wants to be alone, let him.

A: But...

O: He wants to be alone. (She said with finality in her voice that made Amanda put her things down)

...

...

Nick left the precinct and walked to Central Park. He bought himself a hotdog ad sat down on one of the empty benches with a sigh. He was excited about his dinner with Barba but he kept hearing his father's voice in his head telling him to be a man. He got half way through his hotdog before he finally took his phone out. He fought against the rising urge he felt to text Barba and let him know that he couldn't make their dinner and finally put his phone away deciding that he wouldn't let fear rule his life.

...

He made it back to the precinct just as his lunch hour finished feeling more excited and calmer that he had all morning and tackled his work in order to finish at exactly seven because he agreed to pick Barba up at seven thirty.

O: Feeling better?

N: Much, just needed to get a few things out of my head.

O: I'm here if you want to talk or you just need a sounding board.

N: I know and thank you for that.

...

That evening just before seven thirty, Nick arrived at the ADA's office and saw Barba walking out of the building.

...

N: I've been wondering...

R: Mm-hm.

N: Why do I always have to drive?

R: I don't like driving?

N: Why?

R: No reason, I just don't.

N: But you own a car?

R: Yes if do and I can drive too, I just choose not to.

N: Okay.

...

They got to the restaurant and were seated quickly on the crowded Friday night because Nick had made a reservation.

N: So I've been thinking... (He started after their waitress left with their food order)

R: Whoa what's been going on with you lately? Earlier you were wondering and now you're thinking, what happened to the crazy NYPD detective that does everything without thinking anything through?