Chapter 5

Robyn
I wait until he's left my office. I wait until he's left because he can't see me react to him.
Amazing how after a decade, he was still able to creep under my skin.
I close my eyes and take a shaky breath.

I hated having to act like a bitch, but heaven knows I find solace in a tough exterior when my insides are begging for me to run and hide.
Stupid woman hormones.

What I'd said to Dimitri was true.
I didn't hate him for just dissing me in front the whole school; that was trivial when I didn't have many friends to begin with.

I hated him because he robbed me of my one outlet. I confided in him, and he in me. We were there for each other. My insecurities didn't seem to matter to him, but for the sake of stupid "cool kids" he insulted me.

I used his rejection to slowly accept myself; I immersed myself even farther in my studies; I made a vow to become that which everyone said I couldn't be.
My parents were the only one to stick with me.

In college, I'd met my first female best friend, Cara.
During our first week as roommates, we had absolutely no communication, just necessary stuff like "Can you move so I can get to the bathroom."
I was too antisocial for her liking, and she was too loud for mine.
Until the day I saw her kick her boyfriend out because he referred to me as "that weird bitch".
She'd fumed visibly even after he had slunk out, and apologized to me.
I'd thought nothing of it, only impressed at her actions. "Thanks. That was...certainly something." I smiled to ease the tension. She rolled her eyes. "Cute boys are always jerks." I'd nodded sagely. "I can testify."
Hours later, our secrets were laid bare, and we were best friends. Her loud personality was endearing, and her easy smiles much more so. Her long dark hair was usually in a ponytail, exposing her butterfly tattoo on the nape of her neck. She had a tiny nosering, and her blue eyes would twinkle readily with laughter. She was short, but certainly not intimidated by the height of anyone else. Shapely and slim at the same time, she was blessed in every department.

Naturally, she was the one I called to talk about Dimitri. "Damn... So he came back to torment you? De la Devil, indeed." The nickname had caught on with her nicely. "I'm on my way over with ice cream, C. See you in a bit."
I laughed at her sudden squeal of excitement before I hung up. She loved ice cream.

I left the office and made my way over to my best friend.

An hour later, we were sitting cross-legged on her large sofa in sweats. She was trying to convince me- and not failing!- that it was okay to be friends with Dimitri. I was reluctant, however.
I mock- teased her for pushing me up on someone.
"Unfortunately, I think our friendship has come to an end." She shook her head. "Rob, I know how you must feel, remembering what happened all those years ago." She paused to shovel chocolate ice cream into her mouth. "But note, 'all those years ago.' You can give him a chance, babe. He's obviously sorry."
I sighed as I contemplated her words.
"Okay."
She blew a kiss at me. "Good, 'cause I already emailed him that you're sorry about telling him to fuck off today." My eyes widened and I hit her with a pillow. "What? Cara, I hate you!" I laughed as she stuck her tongue out at me.
"Show me the email!"
Spoon in her mouth, she logged into my Gmail. I rolled my eyes. "How can you forget yours every day, but remember mine?" She smirked. "Because, Robyn, you remember it for me." I blushed, guilty. I was as prone to emailing or texting people for her as she was doing it for me. "Ooh look, he's already replied!"

I mentally face palm myself.
"I don't want to see!" I screamed at Cara. Amazing how she is one of the few people to make me act like a crazy teen, something I never had the chance to be.
She waggled her fine eyebrows villainously. "Oh, but you do! I bet you've thought about his devilishly good looks and hot bod," she added, just for the sake of mortifying me. "I do not!"
Flipping her off, I rotate the laptop so his email is visible. Glaring at Cara, I click it open, and read aloud.
"Dear Ms. Perez-" Cara snorts. "Doesn't he know your first name?" "Yeah, but I told him to refer to me professionally." She rolls her eyes and beckons for me to continue.
"Dear Ms. Perez, would it be too forward of me to take you to dinner? To discuss our newfound friendship. We can even sign a contract, if you want. Yours, Dimi"
Cara is beside herself. "Dinner! Have you any idea how long I've been waiting to dress you up? Get up! You can go out tonight!" She grabbed the laptop before I could react, and RSVP'd that he should pick me up at 8. Wonderful. She enclosed my number in the reply.

I sigh and allow her to haul me into the bathroom, I bet to tweeze my eyebrows. This was going to be a long night.

Truth be told, seeing Dimitri again had arisen a miniscule amount of old memories. I'd seen a tall, handsome man with an overdose of testosterone. I'd been attracted to him in more ways than one. Dammit.

Remember to vote, and comment, guys 😘😘

The Crimson Tamingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें