Built

I've never felt entirely comfortable at the Knox mansion. Despite knowing Brenton since I was in diapers and growing up together, being at the Casa de Knox was always kind of a surreal experience for me.

Today is no exception. Brenton stayed at his parents place after some sort of Knox Industries board dinner the previous night, so he told me to meet him here before we head out to the inn in the countryside for the official groundbreaking. Under normal circumstances, I'd go just for moral support, but since there's going to be press, Brenton and I are going to have pose for the cameras. Because apparently hard work is nothing without photographic evidence.

I push my sunglasses on top of my head as I ring the doorbell, knowing that Brenton's probably already waiting, seeing as he's never had the same issues with punctuality as I have. But I'm surprised when the door swings open to reveal Harrison Knox instead of my fake fiancé.

"Raina!" Harrison smiles widely, stepping aside and gesturing for me to enter. "Come on in."

"Harrison," I reply, a little anxious as I step into the large foyer, "Sorry, I don't mean to intrude. When Brenton told me to meet him here, I assumed you and Colleen were out."

He doesn't usually make me nervous. He's intimidating for sure, being the head of a major corporation and all, but our interactions up until this point have been on more of a human to human level. Except now I know he's the reason I could end up getting a huge promotion and that makes me queasy.

"Nonsense, you don't need to apologize for being here," he says warmly, guiding me towards the nearest living room and sitting in large leather chair as I perch myself on the end of the couch, "You're practically family after all. So, how are things at the gallery?"

I know he's wondering if I was already approached by Larissa, so I say, "Fantastic, actually. We were just picked to participate in an exhibition program with the CMMA."

"I'm so glad that worked out!" he beams, "I put in a good word for you."

"So I'm told," I respond, a little surprised that he's so open about his involvement. Harrison hasn't ever been opposed to nepotism, but seeing as we're not actually related I expected him to keep the situation a little more hush-hush. "Larissa Collins said you highly recommended the Harrington Gallery. I suppose I should thank you."

"No need," he shrugs, looking genuinely proud of me. "Like I said, in no time you'll be part of the family. And family helps each other out."

That statement makes a knot of guilt twist in the pit of my stomach and I wonder if he would still feel that way if he knew the true nature of my engagement to Brenton. Unable to speak at a normal volume, I whisper, "Well, thank you anyway."

"Any time," Harrison grins in response.

I'm saved from having to further the conversation when Brenton bursts into the room, shooting me an apologetic glance as he tugs his arm through the sleeve of a green and white flannel shirt.

"Hey!" he grins, "Sorry I'm running late. Ready to go?"

"Yes," I nod, grateful for the interruption. As I stand, I politely say, "Good to see you, Harrison."

"A pleasure as always, Raina," he replies, standing as well, and I can feel his eyes on my back as we leave the room.

I don't breathe normally again until I'm in the passenger seat of Brenton's SUV and we're speeding along the highway leading to the suburbs.

"You alright?" Brenton asks, glancing over at me with a furrowed brow.

Of course he can tell something's bothering me. I'm not particularly great at hiding my emotions in general, but Brenton's also got a sixth sense for knowing when I'm upset. Still, I'm pretty sure telling him about his father's involvement in my recent success at work isn't a good idea. Brenton will want to get involved and right now I'm not entirely sure how I want to handle the situation. So I say, "Yes."