Chapter 5

Danny pulled the car up to the curb and looked from the document to the number on the apartment building. It was a match; it's where he'd find Ledezma.

He strode in and tracked down the former convict's door.

"Andre? Open up, this is Detective Reagan." He called through the door frame, knocking loudly.

There was silence for a moment, then the sound of unlocking near the knob on the other side.

The door opened slightly, halted by a security chain. A tall dark eyed figure peered outside at his unexpected visitor.

"I haven't done nothin'," he asserted sharply. "Can't I get one day without cops breathing down my neck?!"

"Take it easy! I'm here to ask about Tyrus Villegas. Seen him lately?"

Ledezma froze, then slammed the door. In a second, it opened completely and Danny stepped in.

"That wuss? What'd he do?" The man suddenly got angry. "God, if he ever squealed about..."

"Easy, it's nothing to do with that," Danny told him. "He kidnapped a woman, and she's having his kid."

"Woah." Ledezma shoved his hands in his pockets. "Guess he was right about him being crazy."

"Who?"

"His cousin, Diego Santino. Worked with us; Mateo owed him a favor so he let him bring in Ty."

"Said he had a rough time growing up- saw his mom and pop killed when he was five back in Puerto Rico, was out on his own until Santino's parents brought him to the States."

"Abandonment issues?" the detective inquired. "PTSD?"

"I guess," Ledezma shrugged, then continued. "Probably explains why he just disappeared after Santino kicked it. Shot down during the big raid."

Danny nodded. "Do you have any idea where he might go to?" he asked with all seriousness.

"Not really," Andre shook his head.

With an exasperated sigh, Danny turned and headed out. "Thanks for your time."

...

After some last few hours searching through records, trying to find any sort of hints that could lead him to Villegas...and Baez, Danny returned home stressed and exhausted.

He sat on the couch, rubbing his eyes with his head in his hands as Linda walked in.

"Any luck?" she asked gently.

He  looked up at her and said nothing. That was all she needed; she sat next to him and let him rest against her shoulder.

"You're gonna find her," Linda comforted her husband.

Danny sighed. "Yeah. If he doesn't try to do something stupid first."

________________________

3 A.M.

This is the phone for Detective Danny Reagan. Leave a message.

BEEP.

"Danny! It's Baez! I was able to get my phone-...he went...somewhere. Please, please find me! He keeps saying... 'you won't leave me too!' He's completely lost it! Please, you have to come quick, I'm at...no...no wait! No! NO!!!"

CLICK.

We're sorry, the number that has called you is no longer in service.