Eight-Alex

Harley lays in my arms. We're watching a horror movie. Well, she's holding me.

She's lucky she's cute.

I feel something wet fall onto my shoulder. I look and see Harley crying.

"Hey, hey hey, hey. What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing, A. I- I'm fine."

Oh please.

"Harley, there's something wrong. What is it?"

"My mom, okay?! I- I didn't get to see Carson this weekend. It's Saturday. They live thirty minutes away-"

"Let's go, boo." I say, pulling her into the bathroom.

"Get ready." I say, pulling on a pair of skinny jeans, a white tee-shirt, and my black flats. I walk into the bathroom to put my makeup on.

A hand reaches my wrist.

"Hmm? Harley, what're you doing?"

"You don't need makeup, A. You're beautiful without it." She whispers in my ear.

"No fair! You're wearing some!"

"I need it."

"Why do you care all of a sudden?" I ask.

I wipe under her eye and it's purple-ish, like a bruise. She looks away.

"Who?" I ask.

"Who what?"

"Who the fuck did this to you?"

"A-"

"Who, Harley?"

"Zoe. Jordan. Naekia. The girls... They beat me because I turned you against them." She says, crying.

"Shh. It's okay. I'll deal with them. You conceal that again with this." I say, handing her a skin concealer that's her skin color.

She smiles and I turn to put my makeup on. I put my shit away and we walk to my Jeep. She taps her mom's address in.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

We pull up. A boy, around fourteen, runs to her.

"Harley, where were you? Was it your father?" A woman asks, coming out.

"No, she was at my house. I'm sorry, ma'am. I didn't know she had plans, it was my fault for not asking." I say.

"Who's this, Harley?"

"Um... A, Mon. Mom, A. A is for Alex," She starts. "And Alex is my girlfriend."