Destiny's Pursuit

Sweat drips down my forehead. It's irritating and I'm using my sleeve to wipe it away. Only the kitchen cupboards left to pack. Panting, I'm leaning back against the sofa, the protective plastic crinkling. How did I end up a single mum moving back with her parents? I have a uni degree, always made sensible choices and yet ...

My eyes scan the boxes and meet an old scrapbook. It's the one my friends gave me before I left on the student exchange. I open it, dwelling in memories, when I get to the picture of Levi and me kissing at our end of Highschool party. It was one of the last kisses Levi ever gave me. I often think back of it and even more though the conversation surrounding it. What if I'd said yes? Levi had made jokes about us playing shopkeeper at pre-school, then he got serious.

"Nelli, I think we should date, not just hooking up at parties like we have for the past three years."
I'd thought about this so many times. I couldn't deny the attraction. Often in class had I watched him, distracted by the way he shook that curl out of his eyes.

"How about you tell me this when you're sober." I tried to gain time, and to keep my pride should he change his mind.
"I'll tell you at the park tomorrow, at two?" Then he disappeared, before returning shortly after. "You're going overseas next month, aren't you?"
"Yes, for a year."
"It would be quite complicated, wouldn't it?" I nodded, parting with a forced smile and heavy heart.

At night, I dream about agreeing with Levi to date, cancelling the exchange year and living a content life together in suburbia, working in avarage jobs, spending the weekends at BBQ parties.

I wake up to Mia smiling at me. She hasn't been in my dream. A life without Mia isn't dreamworthy. I pull my daughter closer for a morning cuddle.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

The truck arrives in my parents driveway, my brother waiting to help unload everything.

When the last box is in my two-bedroom apartment in my parents attic, I offer to get pastries and beer.

"Nelli?"
Waiting at the bakery, I turn to look into the same eyes that last looked at me over ten years ago. He is a man now, not a boy. And while I got curvier, he has lost his muscular built. But there's no denying the attraction, that smile, those eyes, and that same curl still falling stray into his eyes.

"I heard you moved back. Let me know if you need help with anything. I've been living next to the old courthouse since last year, so I'm just a minute away."
It only takes me a second to answer. "I'm getting afternoon tea for my moving helpers. If you're free now, I could use some assembling help."
His smile widens. Lifting his shopping bags he says: "I'll just be a minute."