Chapter 22 ~ Realization

Start from the beginning

“Well you will no longer have to be alone,” her mother assured her. “Indeed after I accomplish what I have set out to do everything will be perfect and we’ll be a family once again.” She had no idea her daughter was faking everything but she still didn’t trust her enough to tell Arabella her scheme. Maybe she would be more trusting of her if she thought Arabella was similar to her?

“It’s been horrible having to worry about being caught,” Arabella sighed. “The royal family is horrible. To have to be around them knowing they hate werewolves is scary. I wish they could see werewolves aren’t all bad. Unfortunately it will never change.”

“Don’t be so sure of that,” her mother commented. So her scheme had something to do with the royal family and their hate of werewolves. Otherwise why would she have implied things would change? Arabella looked up at her mother. Lucinda stepped closer to the bed and ran her hand over her daughter’s hair.

“There’s nothing anyone can do,” Arabella whispered. Her mother shook her head with a small smile on her lips. “Why are you really here?” she asked slowly.

“I’m here because the royal family can’t keep on ruling over this Kingdom and condemning the werewolves. We have rights; we deserve equality if not more. We are better than humans after all,” her mother explained.

“You really think you’ll be able to change things for us?” Arabella asked infusing her voice with awe even though she fiercely opposed her mother’s plan. Lucinda looked smug as she saw the amazement written on Arabella’s face.

“I don’t think, I know,” she corrected. Arabella forced herself to smile.

“That’s great,” Arabella exclaimed. “Everything will be so much better when you succeed.” Her mother’s smile grew larger and Arabella took the moment to consider everything. It would be best if she didn’t ask her mother for details. It might break her mother’s newfound trust in her and then she wouldn’t find out anything.

“I’m glad you agree with me. I was worried you would always be more your father’s daughter,” her mother laughed. Arabella perked up at the comment. In all the time she’d spent with her mother she could count the number of times her father was mentioned on one hand.

“My father?” Arabella inquired curiously. Her mother stilled as she comprehended what she had let slip. Arabella just stared at her in silence.

“Never mind that,” her mother said quickly. “Would you like to meet the people I’m working with to stop the royal family?”

Not wanting too keen Arabella paused before nodding. She swung her legs over to edge of the bed and then stood up. Her mother waited by the door for Arabella to catch up before leading the way.

All because her mother had messed up mentioned her father; Arabella was getting to meet her mother’s co-conspirators. It was something that wouldn’t have happened for some time to come if her mother didn’t want to avoid talking about something or in this case someone.

She was already out of the castle when she realized she should’ve left Alistair a message saying where she was going but by then it was too late so she decided she would have to just explain later.

They walked down the main street in the lower town before cutting across an alley to get to a less busy street. Arabella had thought they would go to the tavern she had caught them at last time and was surprised when they walked past it.

“Don’t you guys spend your time in that room near the back of the tavern? Arabella asked in confusion. Her mother laughed at her question but didn’t stop.

“Don’t be silly,” she said. “We were only there temporarily. Also do you really think we would stay there after you discovered us there?” Arabella ducked her head as she realized how stupid her question was.