Chapter 3--Getting Acquainted

Susan was waiting at the front window when the cab containing her younger brother and sister arrived. "Peter! They're here!" she cried, running out to meet them.

Lucy was first out of the cab. "Susan!" she cried, throwing her arms around her older sister, "How was America? What was it like? Oh! I have so much to tell you, and I can hardly wait to hear all your stories!"

Peter waited at the door as Edmund approached. As he watched his younger brother ascend the front steps, Peter sensed growth, a more mature carriage in his brother's step. Edmund looked up as he set down his and Lucy's suitcases.

"Welcome," Peter said, extending his hand. Edmund took it and shook it firmly, but hesitated without releasing Peter's hand. The two brothers met glances only briefly before pulling each other into a hug. "Good to see you, Ed," Peter said. He picked up Lucy's bag and took it upstairs as Edmund went into the sitting room.

He and Lucy had spent the summer holidays at their Aunt Alberta and Uncle Harold's house, where they'd gone to Narnia with their cousin Eustace. Edmund chuckled at the memory, when a movement in the corner startled him out of his musings. He looked over and saw a girl who looked no older than Lucy huddled into a small ball, knees tucked tight against her body. She curled toward—but not against—the corner as if intentionally refusing to look at him. Susan walked in with her arm around Lucy's shoulder.

"Who's that?" Edmund asked.

Susan immediately grew somber. "I found her tied to a raft, soaking wet and unconscious, while boating in America. She doesn't seem to understand when I talk to her, she won't let anyone touch her, and she won't move from that corner. She's been there two days now. I wanted to dress her in something dry, but my clothes are too big. She looks about your size, Lu, and I figured—if it's all right with you—she could borrow some of your things."

Lucy's compassionate heart was touched. "Of course she can," she cried, running to the girl, but Susan pulled her back.

"Stop! She behaves like a caged animal, and she might hurt you if you try to touch her. She has no idea we just want to help her."

Intrigued, Edmund drew closer to the girl, trying his best to be as non-threatening as possible. The girl finally looked up, but only as far as his hands, not his face. The closer Edmund got, the more terrified she became.

"I don't think it's help she needs; it's trust." He stopped a respectful distance from her and waited.

~o0o~

Melanie had been on the couch when she awoke two days previously. She had been cleaned, most likely by the girl, and—oh no! She was wearing a dressing gown! Probably it belonged to the sister. Now that it was touching her, it was contaminated. Melanie quickly sprang from the couch and curled in the corner, trying to touch as little of the house as possible. She stayed in that corner, for there alone she figured she was safe. Many times both the boy and girl tried to come to her. How many times she wished she could tell them how dangerous that was! She now knew these people were not like Them. They weren't going to hurt her, but she could see herself accidentally hurting them because of their lack of knowledge about her.

Now there were two others, a boy and a girl. The boy was moving closer to her. Melanie didn't want him so close. His lips moved, but his hands did not. She had no way of knowing what he said. Finally he lifted his hand. Oh dear! Was he going to touch her? No; he pointed to his eyes and then to the girl. His eyes were questioning. He was asking if she could see. Melanie nodded. She could understand him, but oh! If only he understood her! The boy pointed to his mouth and then to her again: could she speak? She shook her head. Finally he pointed twice more: to his ears, then to her. Could she hear? She shook her head as a lump formed in her throat. That was the whole reason she was accursed!