Chapter 16: Attack on the Pompeii Estate

Почніть із самого початку

"Inquisitor Godschilde is not the only authority of the Ordo Hereticus, Arbitrator. I'd suggest you alter your tone."

Delphias looked the woman in the eyes, his head level with hers. His voice was no longer confrontational. "Katherine, under who's orders are you acting?" He just couldn't deal with the aloof manner in which they acted.

"The Adeptus Sororitas do not answer to the Arbites, Fedarsi," She answered. "Is this your first tour with the Arbites? Are you unaware of the jurisdiction of the Ordo hereticus?"

Delphias leaned back, biting his lip and ignoring the insult. He glanced around, looking at the arbites who had formed a huddle while he was talking. The other sisters seemed none too pleased, but that was the usual. Looking back at Katherine, he spoke again. "Sister, I fully realize the jurisdiction of the Hereticus. I am simply trying to do my job." He looked her in the eyes again, but not harshly. "We are not enemies. We should be working together to thwart the servants of the archenemy." 

"You say you've been in contact with Inquisitor Godschilde?" Katherine asked.

"Yes." 

She nodded almost imperceptibly, as though to herself. "Fedarsi, we are on the trail of a very dangerous Slaanesh cult. The leader of this cult is very powerful, exceedingly cruel, and extremely clever. We are trying to track him down." She tapped her bottom lip with a forefinger, "And I think you can help."

Delphias nodded once, sharply. "Well, Canoness, what would you have us do?" He waved back at his men. "I have three squads here, and more can be summoned." 

The Canoness looked up at the Arbites squads with a thoughtful look, "First...we need information. Can you access aerial holos of the city? We are looking for a specific building."

Delphias manipulated his data-slate, activating a small projector. "Why yes, actually. We don't have many aerial shots, but I can call up the schematics of almost any building in the city, as well as the defense permits of the building in question." He stopped, looking up at her. "What did you have in mind?" 

"Harodiah!" She called over her shoulder. The Repentia hurried over to stand at Katherine's flank. "My sister here has seen a building that may lead us to the cult leader, though she doesn't know where it is. If she could be shown some holos of the largest estates of the city, we may be able to find which one it is."

Delphias glanced at the rather deranged seeming woman besides Katherine. He tried not to think about it. With the click of a stylus he activated the schematic program. "This is Orvus Hall, of Lord Orvus, senator-chief. Weapons permit for sixty guards, entrenchments, and a void projector around the main household." There was no response. 

"This is the Solarium, the library of Byzantium Nova. Permit is for guard intervention." Still no response. He flipped though half a dozen houses and manors, and then- "This is the manor of the late Senator Pompeii, Emperor rest him. Weapon's permit for two hundred armed guards, entrenchments, and three AA defense mounts. Didn't do him any good." Delphias smirked a bit, and made to continue when- 

Harodiah reached out and touched the holo-projector, "That one. That is the house." She looked back at the Canoness. "That is where he waits." 

Katherine nodded, placing a gentle hand on the woman's bald pate, "Good, Harodiah. Tell Mother Rachel we need to move out immediately." 

Delphias nodded, grimly, and with a flick of his wrist deactivated the holo-projector. He looked at Katherine. "I suspected as much. I presume you aren't just running a few errands?" he said, carefully. 

"I have to take care of my wounded," Katherine said. "And we must find the best way to approach the estate unobserved."

"Not to be rude, canoness, but you're going to need our help if you intend to attack that estate." He paused, looking around, and trying not to sound eager. This looked like the first chance for real work in a long time. "I don't mean to slight your fighting ability, but you can't attack that estate alone."