A heart must be broken before the years can make it wise - Sara Teasdale

Jenny observed the handwriting on the front of the envelope. The letters were joined and styled in an italic font which caused her heart to quicken as she immediately identified the sender and allowed a small bubble of hope to rise up inside of her.

Jenny continued to stare at the letter for a couple of minutes, contemplating if she wanted to discover the answers to so many lingering questions.

Finally she decided to delay reality for a few moments, and instead opted to gaze out onto the lake, admiring how the water glittered in the summer sun. Surrounding the lake were endless amounts of green trees, their leaves flickering in accordance to the light breeze, which in itself offered a small relief from the summer heat. Blossoms fell to the ground gently, their weight making it impossible to remain attached to their branches as the breeze passed through.

Upon receiving his letter earlier that morning, Jenny had decided to take a walk to her favourite place, to read and digest his words carefully in the tranquillity of nature, and she absolutely adored the scene before her. Reality snapped back with a vengeance as a sharp pain whizzed through her shoulder and a Yorkshire terrier came bouncing towards her, on the hunt for the stick which had just hit her at some speed! Jenny watched as the terrier collected the stick proudly and bounced back to its owner, faintly hearing an apology for the pain caused. Time to face reality.

Jenny inhaled deeply and carefully opened the letter. She discovered a hunger in her eyes as she began to read at a fast pace, with a determination to take in every word, a desire to finally find out why he had not been in contact for so long. As she continued to read the words he had decided to string together, her hope popped like a balloon and her heart sank.

Tears threatened their escape as she gazed out onto the lake once more, the scene before her now was very different. A storm was approaching.