Chapter One

By the time it was time for Andromeda to go to Hogwarts, as planned, she had been sorted into the Slytherin house, joining her sister Bellatrix. During her first two years at Hogwarts, Andromeda stuck tight to Bellatrix as she showed her the ropes of the school and how to excel in the classes her family expected her to. Classes didn't come easy to Andromeda despite her being an avid reader compared to the rest of her family, who just seemed to have a knack for the things that Andromeda had to work hard for. She enjoyed Charms and Potions as they were the easiest out of all the subjects taught, and she was lucky that they were two of the subjects her family wanted her to exceed in.

Both Bellatrix and the other Slytherins kept an eye on who Andromeda was hanging around with at all times, which mainly led to her keeping to herself while she was at school, unless she was alone with her sisters. There was always a different side to the girls when they were around each other — they could be themselves as there was no one to impress.

With Bellatrix entering her seventh year, Andromeda her fifth and Narcissa her third, the family was in a rush, running about gathering everything they needed.

Andromeda had avoided the frenzy as she had packed the night before. She sat alone at the kitchen table, reading a book, subconsciously chewing on her fingernails.

"You'll end up with hands that look like a hag's if you keep doing that," Andromeda's mother, Druella scolded. "Besides, it's a filthy habit. One I thought you'd grown out of by now."

"Sorry mother," Andromeda looked up from her book. "I'm bored. If I have nothing to do with my hands, this ends up happening." 

"You need to find a way to stop it."

"I know. Maybe it's because I'm a little nervous." Andromeda wondered aloud.

"Nervous? About what?"

"Well, this year is the year I take my O.W.L's mother."

"You'll do fine if you listen to your sister."

Andromeda nodded silently. She hoped desperately that she would do well in her exams this year so that she could be showered with the same praise as Bellatrix had received over the years. Bellatrix was the oldest, she was the first to do everything, leaving her parents in a state Andromeda liked to call "The Bella Trance."

When the family arrived at Platform 9 3/4 later that morning, Andromeda resisted to urge to chew her fingernails as she felt her mind wandering from focus.

"Now girls," Cygnus cleared his throat. "Behave yourselves, and listen to Bellatrix. Bellatrix, make sure you update us on what's happening. Now, work hard, and we'll see you at Christmas." The father hugged his daughters quickly, before their mother fixed their hair and allowed them to board the train.