Her Song

She sang of her father. Her voice draping across the audience lulling the screams for Dylan. Who sat on the other side of the stage, so that he did not get killed. It was the first time Adelaide actually had security standing in front of the small stage; which made her feel famous. Even though she knew exactly whom it was really for. She sang of her mother, something sweet came into her voice that was not there before. Her words filled with life, a contradiction to when she sings of her father. The end of her show was slowly approaching, and she had the special song prepared tonight for the end. Usually she would open with the song, but she felt something different tonight. Her mind had finally stopped running and she could put things together. Dylan did that for her, she knows it. Something about the way he looked at things made her trust him. The way his voice edged at the end, but ran smooth otherwise, his doe brown eyes lit up any room he set in. She no longer felt tired, around the boy, or run down. Adelaide could control her own brain, the thought. The girl moved to the big black grand piano behind her, setting her mic into the small stand in front of her. She played the first few notes and was whisked away.

It was about 6 years prior, ten year old Adelaide had just returned home from school. To an unusual empty kitchen, maybe her snack would be on the counter and her father went shopping. She knew that her dad had problems with his mind, that it told him things that weren't real. It made him sad and angry out of no where sometimes. But she chose to believe he went shopping for the time being. She witnessed him strike her mother once, but never had he struck Adelaide. She continued to the kitchen finding nothing, forcing her eyebrows to knit together.

"Daddy?" Her voice was shaky and small. The ten year old girl then heard faint music in the back of the house and started for it.

Her day nightmare seemed to have taken a toll on the girl as she awoke in the hospital, her mother outside speaking with a doctor, something about her eyes told Adelaide it wasn't good. A groan escaped her and she looked up to see a boys face. She had to clasp her own hand over her mouth to stop the scream, that shot up her throat, from coming out of her mouth.

"What?... Y-you scared the hell out of me... What am I doing in the hospital? Last thing I knew I was in the coffee house, just starting my last song," she sat up quickly sending nausea and dizziness up to her head a strange weight was then forcing her to lay back down. Her hand reached her head rubbing it lightly, as her eyes squinted in the now very bright light of the hospital room trying to look at Dylan. "What are you even doing here? Aren't you supposed to be family to get back here?"

Dylan let her talk, only gazing at her as she did. He stood abruptly when she had sat up helping her lay down to keep her from feeling any more pain.

"You passed out and hit your head pretty hard on the edge of the stage. I grabbed you and took you to the hospital because the ambulance was taking way to long. You were half way through that song...." He breathed out, "and you just dropped, it was weird and horrifying." The boy leaned a little farther from her after explaining the lot of it, "They just let me back here, don't ask why... But I wasn't going to leave you. Not after that show."

Her mind had been racing until the moment Dylan spoke, it was beginning to scare her, how much power he had on her. She only stared at him confusion painted on every detail of her face. She was in the hospital and he was only worried about her show, that's the only reason he couldn't leave her? Pathetic. Though, Adelaide did not want him to leave, despite the circumstances.

Dylan took in a large breathe realizing that she was not going to speak so he continued, "Your voice is like sunlight it's self. Warming and almost everyone wants it. You have the voice that everyone wants to be in the vicinity of."

As he spoke to her his eyes didn't leave hers, making her uncomfortable, she shyly looked away. But his words made sense, she hadn't met anyone who hasn't loved the sun. Not a person she knew didn't want to lay in it's presence allowing their skin to soak up it's rays. Her voice was sunlight, people allowed their ears to soak the notes up. She made songs that forced one's eyes to close and their mind's to live in the moment.

Her voice was sunlight.