"Fi?" 

He heard a little squeal of glee and rushed out the front door, catching her before she stepped off the freezing flagstones. He picked her up and smacked her well-padded bottom lowering his eyebrows at her. She scrunched up her nose and eyes, copying him, and pulled his beard, laughing again as he carried her back into the house. He found a cracker for her to chew on while he started the fire, allowing her to hand him the next stick to go in. He gave her a drink, changed her nappy, wrapped her tightly in her favorite blanket, and sat down to rock her in front of the fire, humming quietly. She fussed until she heard him hum, then she snuggled her cheek to his chest and was asleep in moments.  

He carried her back into her room and, moving Esja's hand, tucked her in next to her sister. He looked down at his wife. Her hair was tangled, her feet bare, and he thought for a moment that she was wearing the same dress as when he had left but then thought that surely could not be right. He bent down and picked her up, blanket and all, and carried her to their bed. He laid her down, covering her, and she didn't move a muscle. He kissed her lips softly, as much to reassure himself she was still living as it was because he had missed her.  

He walked back to the girls' room, straightened the rug, and picked up the rag dolls off the floor. He kissed Kelylah's downy head and tucked her in more snugly. Walking back to the front room, he went over and looked at the front door. Esja had asked him to repair the loose latch before he left. He had forgotten. He walked back to the stable in the moonlight to get his tools.  

***

Esja stretched and snuggled deeper into her blanket, listening for sounds from the girl's room. She sat up and looked around, making a mental list of everything she wanted to get done before Thorin got back from Dale today. She scratched at her scalp and pushed her lank hair away from her face.  

"How about we put bath somewhere around the top of the list?" she suggested to herself. She felt surprisingly well-rested this morning and looked out the window, dark clouds were blowing in, and a storm was on the wind.  

"Please hurry home," she whispered at the window.  

Turning, she pulled off the dress she had worn for almost a week and wrapped a clean robe around herself, tying the strings at the waist. She stepped into the front room and was stopped dead in her tracks.  

The house was spotless. Dishes washed and put away; floor swept, carpet brushed and straightened, a fresh jug of milk on the table, and the copper bathtub set out. Two large buckets of water sat near the fire, one already boiling. Esja clutched the neck of her robe and looked around, edging towards the girls' room.  

"They aren't in there." 

Esja whirled back at his voice.  

"You're back early," she said, sounding a little breathless. 

"I am." 

"Did you..?" 

"Don't ask. It's a long, long story, and we have till dinnertime." 

"...have till dinnertime?" 

"I've just dropped those two off with Nordren and Ellie. They're bringing them back for dinner. Possibly baked in a pie." 

"Baked?" 

"Come take your bath, Esja." 

"It's not for you?" 

"No, I've had two already today, the one I planned and the one I ended up sharing with the girls. If the ceiling starts growing stalagmites, it will be because of bath time."