Chapter One

I have now accepted payment for this story so have removed everything beyond chapter one.  It will be released in 2018 under a new title by Harlequin Mills & Boon.

Thank you to everyone who has read, commented or voted.

Chapter One

Yorkshire. April 1071

"Tell me, madam, where is my bride?"

Gilbert du Lannion flung his arms wide in a gesture that encapsulated anger, surprise and disbelief. He turned a slow circle around the gloomy hall then once again faced the impassive woman sitting on the dais close to the firepit.

"I have travelled from York to Haxby in appalling weather, and at risk to my safety with the sole intention of your daughter and now I discover she is not here!"

From his place at the left side of the hall Guillaume FitzBegard hid a frown as he watched his liege lord and childhood friend grow increasingly irate. The journey from the city to this manor house was manageable within half a day on foot, and on horseback had been even faster. The Galtres Forest had provided shelter from the sudden April rainfall and there had been no sightings of any trouble. Gilbert was merely attempting to impose his status on his audience, and as usual he showed no sense of how to do it with poise or effectiveness.

With his handsome even features, thick chestnut hair cut high into the back in the fashionable style favoured by most Norman knights and a well-built frame, Gilbert seldom failed to charm anyone he raised his soft brown eyes to, but if the glowing youth was hoping to make a good impression on his future mother in law he was failing. From her seat above them Emma, dowager countess of Haxby continue to look down her nose with an expression of disdain.

"Perhaps you should have checked before setting out on such an..." Emma paused to smirk openly, "arduous journey whether it was one worth making."

Her blue eyes became flint. "My daughter has not lived with me for the past six months. I sent her away last winter after Earls Morcar and Edwin retreated leaving our city in the hands of your king."

She brushed a hand down her sleeve dismissively.

'Your king,' Gui noted.

He had not expected her to call William 'The Great' but this open disdain was a clear signal. If Gui he had previously wondered which claim to the throne of England the widow of Herik of Haxby might have supported in the tumultuous events of four years previous this was the evidence to confirm it. No doubt she believed the oathbreaker Harold's claim was valid, or perhaps she had supported the Aetheling in his failed attempts the previous year to take York back from Norman control.

Gui flexed and bunched the fingers of his right hand and ignored the creeping itch in his left wrist. He looked closely at Gilbert to see if the nobleman had also picked up the inflection and choice of word. Doubtful. Lady Emma would have to openly call William 'the bastard' for Gilbert to realise her hostility.

"I know she is not here. I am fully aware of her absence," Gilbert said. He tossed his head. "You are telling me nothing I don't know and I believe you are being intentionally unhelpful!"

Gilbert's voice was rising and a blush was creeping up his throat. Any moment now he would stamp his foot. Gui noticed a shift in the stance of the attendants standing at either side of Emma's chair. They were readying themselves to move in defence of their mistress if the cause arose. The two men were middle aged and wore short swords buckled at their waists. The woman must have considerable influence to be allowed to keep armed guards after William's determination to bring Yorkshire's defiant inhabitants firmly under his yoke.