6. Let me show you how thankful I am

Start from the beginning

"Woo, smoother than milk chocolate or what.

Hi, Alex. I'm Lily, but you can call me whatever you want." I grabbed his hand and squeezed, winking as I done so.

Way to go girl, I knew you still remembered how to flirt.

His mouth was slightly open as he remained holding my hand. I ignored the sparks shooting through my hand and the butterflies swarming around my stomach.

Eventually he let go, very reluctantly and slid slightly closer on the couch. "Well I'm very glad to have met you, Lily-". A soft grunt and nudge to his thigh had him looking down. "And to have met you too, Sam." He corrected himself and scratched behind his new friend's ears.

I smiled, gazing at the gorgeous man currently becoming best buddies with my usually not-particularly-sociable pup. I may only have met him a few hours ago but I felt an unbelievable connection between us; a kind of pull that I had never experienced before.

He smiled up at me as I watched them bond, seeming just as content as I was. "So, Lily, tell me about yourself?"

From this point on we discussed my work as a journalist, how whether my work was printed or posted online determined whether I was paid, and how I spent my free time writing for myself and taking Sam to the local dog parks where he would bark the entire time.

"I'm sorry, I've gone on about us. What about you? What's there to know about 'Alex'?" I smiled as I adjusted my position on the couch, sitting sideways to face him dead on, legs folded underneath me.

"Don't be silly. Every word you say has me mesmerised." He winked –actually friggin' winked– before continuing on. "Hm. Well, I'm a bit of a Jack the Lad. You know, joinery, plumbing, whatever, but I mainly do landscaping. The thing is, I stay in a small community outside of town. The locals kind of prefer to keep to themselves, so we sort of, uh, band together (?) to keep the community going. I know it sounds kind of mad, but..." He trailed off and glanced at my face.

I swiftly grabbed his hand, reassuring him that I didn't think he was in some crazy cult.

"Not at all! I barely know my neighbours names here. A thriving community where the residents are close to one another? Why, your little slice of home sounds lovely." I grinned and subconsciously squeezed his hand tighter in my excitement. "Uh, maybe I could come by some time? See just how wonderful this community is. If they'd welcome me, that is..."

His smile could not have gotten any bigger. It gleamed with happiness.

"They definitely would.

And I'd really, really, like that, Lily."

He gazed at my face and leaned in, eyes flashing to my lips and back up to my eyes. He closed the distance between our faces-

Slurp.

And just like that, Sam stole the moment, wagging his tail happily at Alex.

I couldn't help the bubble of laughter that came bursting from my throat. My little man sure knows how to keep a man on his toes. Alex seemed stunned, almost as if he couldn't believe a dog could have such good timing.

He shrugged his shoulders and playfully nudged Sam's face away from him. "Damn, boy. Way to help a brother out."

He turned his head back to me and smiled, a slight blush creeping onto his cheeks –probably matching my own- and held up his empty wine glass. "How about a refill, beautiful?"