Chapter Eighteen

I rushed back to the middle room, kicking up dust and old papers that scattered the floor. The three looked at me curiously, pausing what they were doing to glance my way. "Ohm?" Bryce spoke first. "What's up?"

Lifting my hand, I showed them the pair of chipped sunglasses. Evan bounded towards me, swiping the glasses from me to examine. His fingers brushed over the joint of one of the arms of the frame. He turned to Smitty and Bryce, a defeated look on his face. "They're his."

Smitty's shoulders slumped. "H-he could still be alive! H-he could be.. be hiding in one of the rooms we haven't checked! He could be d-downstairs!" Bryce walked up to him, placing a hand on his shoulder with a reassuring look.

I shook my head. "The glasses smell of monster. I'm sorry, guys, but it's not likely--"

  "There's a chance, then!" Evan called. Smitty's face lit up, and even Bryce recognized what the excitement was about. I had no idea, but if they were confident, I guess I should be confident, too.

"We have to keep looking," Smitty commanded. "Let's finish checking out this level."

  Evan and he marched out of the circular room through the west hall, fading out of the light the moon provided above us. Bryce fell behind, turning to me with a smile. "Trust us-- well, trust them! They know what they're doing!" He then rushed out of sight, down the hall to catch up.

I sighed, my large feet quickly padding after them.

- - -

No luck. We searched the entire second floor and no sign other than footprints in the dust that just took us in circles. They didn't look defeated at all. Smitty was still slightly doubtful, but he kept pushing on. Evan thought he kept seeing new prints, thinking he kept noticing someone turning around a corner. Bryce stayed silent beside me most of the time, flinching at every noise and cautious looking around walls.

  We were constantly hearing footsteps and voices below us, but we knew it was just the other group scowering the main floor. My ears were constantly shifting, trying to detect steps and other noises around and below us. I was unsuccessful most of the time.

Doing another sweep of the area, we decided to check out the middle room once more. The three stopped as we turned into the room, and I then noticed why. All the cabinets were swung open, mops fallen out and the piles of towels neatly placed on the ground, the shelves cleared of all contents. It was as if someone was searching for something.

They searched around the room, checking if anything was actually missing. Brooms were removed from most of the cabinets, leaning against the walls in a nice, tidy line. All the towels and robes that were taken out were folded in stacks on the floor. "Who would take the time to do this..?" I muttered.

Evan laughed to my left. "Probably Moo."

"Yeah?"

 The three's heads shot up from what they were doing. "Moo?" Bryce called out.

"What?" A voice echoed from down the halls. The boys looked around at each other, confused but thrilled looks on their faces.

"Brock!" Smitty shouted.

 The voice rang out again, "What?"

   Evan and Bryce broke into a run in that direction. Smitty turned to me, encouraging me to follow with a wave. I sighed, beginning to chase after the two that bolted down the hall. Turning a corner, I saw they had stopped infront of a room. Approaching them, I noticed they were staring at something, their jaws on the floor in amazement and shock.

 I walked up behind them. Evan stepped forward, a chuckle escaping from his lips.

In front of us, a man was folding a pile of clothes that were laid out on the counter in front of him. He wore a dull blue pair of jeans, the bottom of the pantlegs torn up, threads hanging down to reach his black and white sneakers. A tanktop with vibrant pinks, oranges, and yellows covered his torso, while his arms were exposed, covered in scratches and a number of tattoos. His hair swept over to one side, the sides of his head shaved. A small beard trailed along his jaw and beside his ear.

"Holy shit," Smitty muttered.

The man turned to us quickly, a surprised look on his face. His oak-brown eyes glimmered gold with happiness. "Guys!" He bounded towards the three, embracing them all in a tight hug. They were not the slightest hesitant to hug back.

"Ah, Brock!" Bryce laughed. "God, it's so good to have you back!"

I smiled at the laughter and the grins the four shared. The man, Brock I assumed, looked up at me, his look of friendliness not dropping like it would for any other stranger. He broke apart from the hug. "Have you guys found Brian yet?"

Smitty shook his head. "No, but the others are still searching downstairs."

  Bryce noticed me standing there, and chuckled. "Ohm, this is Brock."

Brock then turned to me, extending his hand. "Hey there!" I blinked, looking to Bryce for help with the situation. "Shake his hand," he whispered. "Introduce yourself."

I smiled, taking Brock's hand in mine, shaking it. "I'm Omega. Call me Ohm if you wish." Brock sweetly returned the smile.

His eyes shifted to my other hand, which he gasped and reached for. "My glasses!" He grabbed the pair of chipped sunglasses from my grip and unfolded the arms, examining them. His finger brushed over one of the arm's joints, like Evan did earlier, as if it were to confirm they were his. He rubbed the lenses clean with his shirt, then slipped them onto his face. Although one of the lenses had a crack ripplig through the middle, he boasted a confident smile. "Much better. That's why I was up here, I needed to find them. Thank you!"

 Brock then turned, marching down the hall in the direction of the stairs. "C'mon! Let's go find the others!"

Bryce elbowed me with a playful smirk. "You did fine, Mr. Conversation." I rolled my eyes. I followed Smitty and Evan as they began to follow after Brock, making their way to the staircase leading down.