Newt Scamander - "You are my sunshine"

You sighed when you realized that you were staring at him again. The first few times this had been the moment to panic, to look away, to feel your cheeks heating up and blushing, to wish for a hole in the floor so you could disappear. But you had soon figured out that Newt didn't even notice that you were staring. Sometimes you wondered if he knew that you even existed.

"Hey..." Newt turned around all of a sudden and for a short moment you stiffened. "I need your help with something." He licked his lips and he placed a hand in his neck while he avoided your glance. "Could you hold this one for me for a moment, please?" He smiled while he opened his other hand and revealed a small bowtruckle. "I promise that Pickett will behave."

Even though the palms of your hands were sweating you held one of them open and you giggled when Pickett's small feet touched your skin. "I don't think I've ever held a bowtruckle before..." You spoke softly, more to yourself than to Newt and you cocked your head while you studied the little created for a moment.

"I wouldn't really recommend holding them, actually." Newt shrugged his shoulders while he opened his suitcase and took a deep breath. "I really thought I had my watch in here..." He frowned his eyebrows and then he shook his head. "But I do think I already know where I can find my lost sparkling object." His lips curled up into a smile and even though you were still holding the bowtruckle you felt a certain kind of sadness breaking your heart.

For weeks you had wondered what it would look like if Newt smiled. For weeks you had dreamed of speaking to him, of having his eyes meet yours, of being the cause of his lips curling up. But instead of you being his reason to smile, he was smiling because he knew where to find his lost watch.

"Hey..." Newt walked towards you and he placed a hesitating hand on your shoulder. "What's wrong? Please, don't cry."

"I'm not..." You looked up at the boy in front of you and then you realised that the tears were rolling down your cheeks. Slightly embarrassed you tried to wipe them away with your free hand, but Newt grabbed your wrist and used his own thumb to do it for you. "Sorry, I don't know what's happening to me." You took a few deep breaths and tried to smile even though your eyes kept on watering.

"No, don't be sorry. It's fine. It's just..." Newt licked his lips. "I'm not really good at comforting people, I'm afraid." He grinned and you grinned back at him.

"O, but I'm not sad, I think." You shook your head and strangely enough the tears also felt like some kind of relief. "It's just..." You swallowed. "I tried my best not to feel anything for you. Guess what? I failed." You smiled once more. "And it's pathetic, because I know that you'll never love me as much as these animals and that's fine, because you're perfect the way you are and you are my sunshine because you're you, but..." You couldn't finish your sentence.

Newt leaned in and he pressed a soft kiss on your lips. "Pickett likes you..." Newt stepped back and he stared at the small creature who seemed perfectly happy in the palm of your hand. "And he has a good taste in women." Newt smiled a bright smile. "Maybe...maybe we should...we should drink something together?"

"I'd love to."