1

Satish watched the rippling of water closely, with so much of his attention, that he almost forgot his surrounding. As he tried to touch the bubble, even before he could touch it, it bursts immediately. Maybe it can sense the nervous ebb and flow inside his heart, he smiled tiredly. He felt irritated at the reminder of his situation. This was supposed to be his evening, like every anniversary,  he was supposed to spend quality time with Neera. The sudden realisation struck him. Neera's silence has almost made him forget her presence. He decides to steal a glance, expecting the anxious look on her face. Instead, he was greeted with a graceful smile, as if she's been waiting all her life for him to turn his head at her direction.

On their way back to home, no one spoke a word. Although the reasons were different.  Neera didn't speak because Satish insisted that  she waited outside while the doctor would discuss the test results. Arguing has never been her cup of the tea, specially when theres no reason to argue.  Sooner or later she will know about her test results. Beacuse they already came to know from the previous tests that it wasn't about Satish. So that doesn't leave much other options.

    It all began a while ago. When they celebrated the joyous evening with the Basu's last year at their daughter's birthday party. And Mrs. Basu brought up the topic, as if she was quite bored with the topic of the eloped daughter of her neighbour. The fact that Satish and Neera doesn't have a child even after 3 years of their marriage seemed to bother her even more than the sparkle of the rubi necklace that Gautami wore. Although she couldn't dwell on the topic much because finally the sparks of the rubies got her. But it didn't stop there of course. Once they reached home, Gautami declared her fear that Mrs. Basu might not forget this topic easily. Hence, she made it clear that the time has come for Satish to plan his family, and Neera should learn how to take responsibilities. Although Satish wondered whether one of those responsibility was to ignore the mindless babbles of nosey neighbours, in that he would definitely help her.

       The patience became a question, even though that took a long year. Satish, unlike any other man, raised his hand before. The results were enough for Gautami to come to the conclusion that she has been cheated, whether she was blaming the fate or the matchmaker was a topic of debate. And it was time for Neera to undergo the trial.