prologue

Her long, thin arm reached out for him, only to find an empty space where his body would usually lie

Her long, thin arm reached out for him, only to find an empty space where his body would usually lie. Caroline sat up in bed, her blue eyes landing on his flannel clad figure in the corner.

"What're you doing?" The hurt in her voice was evident as she watched him stuff his few belongings into a duffel bag.

"We said no strings, remember?"

"That was months ago. I thought things had changed. I thought you – "

"That I loved you?" He raised his eyebrows, slinging the bag over his shoulder. "Well I don't. Sorry, sweetheart."

Caroline followed him out of the house and into the driveway where she watched him throw his bag into the back seat of his car.

"Riley, wait!" She called out, grabbing his arm and pressing her lips against his.

"I'm sorry, Caroline. I wish things could've turned out differently, I really do, but that's not who I am." He got in his car and started the engine. "I'll write to you."

"Don't," she frowned, turning on her heel and walking back inside the home she had grown up in.

Her back rested against the door, and even without supernatural hearing, the rumbling of the '67 Chevy Impala could be heard leaving her driveway. That's when the tears began to flow down her cheeks.

There was nothing she could've done to make him stay. He was always destined to be the one that got away.