Chapter seventeen: Mission Impossible

If someone had told me a few months ago that I would someday be stuffed under a table at McDonald's next to my brother and a red head who could apparently shift into a fox...I would probably laugh at you.

Now though?

I wouldn't even blink...because here I was in-between Sawyer and Rose under a table in McDonald's.

"I knew this was a bad idea." I muttered angrily to Rose.

She pursed her lips into a thin line. "Don't worry. We'll get out of this."

Sawyer chuckled. "Chris is gonna be pissed at you guys." He smirked at us. "Pissed."

Rose rolled her eyes. "And he won't be with you?"

Sawyer grew silent. "Oh. I didn't think of that..."

*****Last night*****

"I know I'm gonna regret this." I.looked back at Rose's gleaming emerald eyes. "Let's go."

She grinned widely at me, and beckoned for me to follow her.

I should've suspected that Rose had as much difficulty with directions as I did, because we passed by our door three times already.

"Rose." I whispered.

She looked at me with a hint of frustration. "What?"

"I think we're going in circles."

She sighed. "This whole breaking out thing is harder than I thought."

**********

After a good thirty minutes stumbling around the school, we were almost out.

All Rose needed to do now was to push the back door open.

Oddly, Rose stood completely frozen as she peered out the window next to the door.

"Rose?" I whispered.

She held up a halting finger. "Shh...I see Chris...and some little kid."

"Little kid?" I shoved Rose out of the way which earned me a painful nudge in the gut. "Fair enough." I breathlessly wheezed.

Rose smiled innocently.

I turned my attention back at the window.

There was Chris in his usual navy blue collared shirt and his black khakis. He was fiddling with his hands nervously as he talked to a much shorter guy. I could tell the kid went to this Academy since he had on the school's uniform.

"What do you think they're doing?" I heard Rose whisper.

I shrugged. "It just looks like they're...Sawyer?!"

"Sawyer?" Rose questioned. "Like your brother Sawyer?"

I was practically shoving my cheek against the window trying to speculate the shorter guy.

"Yep." I confirmed. "Definitely Sawyer."

I recognized Sawyer's shaggy black hair immediately. It had grown quite a lot since I last saw him. His eyes were almost covered with the tips of his hair covering about half of his eyes.

"He needs a haircut." Rose said with disdain.

I chuckled. "Definitely." I looked back out of the window to see the two of them still in a heated conversation. "So what's the plan captain?" I asked turning back to Rose.

"Oh you're gonna love this." She giggled mischievously. "We follow them...like some secret spies."

I bit the inside of my cheek contemplating the idea.