Chapter Three

Keaton punched Wes’s number into his phone. It rang three times before heading for Wes’s voicemail. He tried again, only to connect with voicemail a second time. 

That left one other option. 

Drew. 

There was no hello.  “You’re interrupting my coffee. This better be good.” 

“I need a ride.” 

“A ride?” 

“That’s what I said.” 

“To where?”

“Home.” 

“From where?” 

“Uh, Polly’s Petshop.”  

“What? Isn’t that the place by the skate park?” 

“One and the same.” 

“That’s like ten minutes from your place.” 

“I know.” 

“So get on your skateboard and go.” 

“I can’t.” 

“You can’t?” 

“Nope.” 

“Why? You break something?” 

“Nope. But there’s like fifty girls trying to chase me.” 

He could practically hear Drew smirk. “How is that a problem for you?” 

“One of them ripped my shirt.” 

“So, they’re feisty Keaton, deal with it.” 

“There’s fifty of them,” Keaton repeated. “At the very least.”  

“It’s early,” Drew said. “Why are you at a pet shop? Are you suddenly inspired to give Sampson a brother?” 

Was this a phone call or a job interview? “What’s with the twenty questions? I came to the skate park this morning. I was enjoying myself, having a great time. Next thing I know this cute little brunette sees me and suddenly there were at least five girls. Five turned into ten. It was like a snowball rolling down a mountain from there. It got bigger and gained momentum with each text or tweet.”

“So you hid out in a pet store?” 

“Yeah. It was the only thing open except for the coffee shops.” 

“Have you called your brother?” 

“No. I thought I’d rather be subjected to your interrogation because I knew you’d be all over the chance to drive for thirty minutes to pick my ass up. Course I called Wes. He’s not answering.” 

 “Say ‘Drew is awesome’ and I’ll be right there.”  

As if he was going to be all manipulated. “Thanks.” 

He looked up at Sophie, “my friend is on his way,” he said before hitting the talk button with his thumb. 

Twenty minutes later, Drew’s SUV pulled up in front of the door. Keaton said goodbye to Sophie and jumped in the passenger seat. He waited until Drew pulled away before sending a text to her phone. 

Sophie wiped at the windows in a circular motion to avoid streaks and residue. Her father was particular, often comparing cleanliness to godliness even though these two things couldn’t be more different from each other. 

She couldn’t remember the last time she’d felt so good, largely in part due to her sudden courage to stand up to her sister. She was tired of being the push over Taylor expected.