Chapter 8

MAY 24TH, 2017 

Today was the day, the first day of adulthood and having an adult job. I've done this before with the team so they already know me a little since I did my internship with them back in my junior year of college. 

It was a night game, so I had some time to sleep after getting in at midnight last night and then unpacking some of my things. I couldn't help but think of Dansby the moment I woke up this morning. 

I looked at my phone and saw that he had texted me. 

Bby: Hey princess, I know you're sleeping right now, but I'm still thinking about you while we are on our way to the airport, have a good first day on the job. I'll talk to you soon, I love you.

Me: Hey babe, I just woke up and you should be on the way to Cabo, have a fun time and text me when you land, I miss you and I love you.

I locked my phone and then did a stretch after just waking up like everyone does and then got up and went into the bathroom to shower and get ready for my first day of work. They said I needed to dress business casual, not too fancy. They said I could wear shorts, skirts, jeans, anything I wanted basically. (Outfit in media)

It was summer and it was hot, so I was looking to go for something cool and cute at the same time. I'm not trying to impress the guys because I had Dansby, but whatever floats the guys boats you know. 

I grabbed my purse and phone and then went out to my car and went off to Starbucks before heading to the stadium. I parked in the employee lot and showed the guard my passes before he let me into the halls. 

I walked down the hall to find my bosses office and then he showed me to where mine was. "Now you'll get guys in here before and after the game, so once all the guys leave then you're free to go home. Unless you don't get any, then you can leave whenever you want." He said as I got settle into my new office. 

"Thank you so much." I said looking at him with a smile. "It's my pleasure to have you here, I know you'll be a good fit. Now when we go on the road, you'll have tickets to all the games, but you won't have an office, so the boys will come to your hotel room if they have questions, is that okay?" He asked. 

"Of course it is, whatever they need and whenever they need me, I'll be there." I said. "They may take that too literally around here." He said with a laugh and then he left me to my duties. I was going through my computers when there was a knock on my door. 

"Come in!" I said looking away from my computer and in popped Freddie Freeman. "Ah hello there Freddie, what could I do for you?" I said. "You must be our new sports psychologist, Daniella. Nice to meet you." He said extending his hand out for me to shake. 

"It's nice to meet you too, what's going on?" I asked as he sat down. "My games been down a little bit lately and I just broke up with my girlfriend and I can't shake it." He said and I could tell he had been stressed about it just by the way his eyes looked. 

"Have you ever gotten a massage? Those work wonders for your stress and your game. You look really tense. I can see it in your eyes. Mind telling me how you broke up and why?" I asked getting out paper and writing things down about him. 

"Well we just weren't working out. I think she was in it for the money so I broke up with her. I couldn't stand the way she acted around the guys, like she was trying to get with them too. It hurt me to stay with her, so I had to call it off." He said and he looked like he wanted to cry, it was sweet in a way. 

"How long were you two together?" I asked writing more things down. "A year, so I was invested in the relationship with her and she just kind of hurt me you know?" He said and I nodded. I took a piece of paper and wrote my number down on it. 

"Now here's my number, if you ever need to talk, call me. At any time, I'll be sure to answer." I said with a smile. "I'll take you up on that offer, you single?" He asked and I smiled as I thought of Dansby. "I'm not. I'm taken. You probably know him though, follow college baseball?" I asked. 

"Only when it comes to the draft, who you dating? Anyone good?" He asked and I laughed. "You know just the number one overall guy, Dansby Swanson." I said and he gasped. "No way, kids a beast. He's got a bright future ahead of him. You wanna get drinks later?" He asked. 

"I would actually like that Freddie." I said and I smiled. "Good, meet you back here after the game." He said as he left my office and I picked up my phone and saw that Becca had spammed me with texts while I was with Freddie. 

One was a picture of Dansby kissing another girl, and then another, and then another and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. One of her texts said "I'm sorry girl. He's been drinking so I don't know if he means it or not. Hope you're well." 

I literally loved Dansby with everything I had and my parents were right, he wasn't good for me. What man would give his girl a ring and then when they're in different countries go off and kiss three girls in the same day? A scumbag would. 

That's what he was and I'm sure when he gets home he's going to act like everything's fine but I wouldn't even dare to give him the time of day. I looked at the ring and then I took it off disgusted with how I felt right now. 

I couldn't wait to get out and drink tonight, I needed it. The guys ended up losing to the Brewers 1-2 and it wasn't that bad of a loss, so I didn't think many guys would come in, and I was right they didn't. 

The only guy that came in was Freddie to get me to leave. "So, I need to drink a lot tonight, so can we drop off my car at my place and drive in yours?" I asked ask we were walking out to the parking lot. 

"Sure, that's fine. Give me your address and I'll meet you there." I gave him my address as we went to our cars and we drove off. I got to my place first and I just waited for Freddie to get there and he got there not long after me and I hopped into his truck and we went off to the bar. 

"So what's got you all down now?" He asked as I downed another shot. "My class is in Cabo right now for the senior class trip, I'm here. My friend sent me pictures of my boyfriend kissing three other girls and here we are." I said taking a sip of my very strong drink. 

"So you're kinda in the same boat I am?" He asked and I nodded. "Yep and I hate it." I said and he nodded and rubbed my back. "I'm here for you like you're there for me and the guys." He said with a smile. 

He was looking better and better with every sip pf my drink that I took. He knew what I was thinking too, even though he didn't want to take advantage of me but he knew deep down that I was still in love with Dansby, yet he knew I didn't care in this moment. 

He grabbed my hand, threw some money on the bar for the both of us and dragged me to his truck and took me back to what I assumed what was his apartment. He brought me into the apartment and pinned me up against the door and kissed me. 

I had sparks with him too, it might have been just because I was drunk, but there were sparks nonetheless. He lifted me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist as he brought me to his bedroom and laid me on his bed. 

He shut the door and then the rest is history. God am I going to regret this in the morning or what?