Chapter 4

I look away as they walk into his house, with their hands entwined with each other's. Come on McKenna, he said a couple of nice words to you and you fell for him that easily?
Eh, I didn't sweat it.
So what if he has a girlfriend? Maybe she's a great person and we can become friends.
I smile at the thought and go right back to reading.
After reading the whole book in 45 minutes I decide I should finish setting up my room so I can go downstairs and help mom do everything else.
I set up my desk and my makeup station. My white furniture really complimented my grey walls and chandelier. Very classy.
After what seemed like ages I finally got everything to be the way I wanted it.
Tired and hungry I went downstairs to look for a little snack.
The sight of avocados excited me.
I quickly made my favorite guac and ate it with some chips.
I decided maybe I should go outside and water the flowers so my mom wouldn't have to.
The previous owners planted some beautiful flowers, roses to be exact.
I stood there admiring their beauty when I felt something furry around my foot.
It could me off guard and I jolted my arm.
I laughed at the sight below me. It was the cutest little kitten I have ever seen.
As I'm playing with the cat, I realize the presence of someone else. I look up to witness Caleb, a very wet Caleb.
I laugh as I realize I accidentally sprayed him with my hose.
He laughs along.
His laugh is so genuine, deep and very masculine.
I stand up with the kitten in my arms as she purrs.
"I see my pet cat Misty wanted to say hi to our new neighbors", he says smiling.
I smile looking at Misty. "You know I've always wanted a kitten, but my mom always said no", I say with a frown.
"Well as long as I'm around, you can play with Misty and love her like your own, I'm sure she'd love that", he says petting her soft fur.
My face lights up, " REALLY", I exclaim with pure excitement.
"Of course", he chuckles at my excitement.
With that the brunette I saw earlier comes out of his house.
I see her glare at me, but as soon as Caleb recognized her presence her face instantly changed into a bright smile.
What the?
She makes her way over and greets me.
"Hi, I'm Veronica, Caleb's girlfriend", she hisses at me. It felt like she especially emphasized the fact that she's his girlfriend.
Nonetheless, I remember my manners and with a smile on my face I greet her.
"Hello, I'm McKenna nice to meet you".
She raises an eyebrow, as if amused by me.
She looks away from me and proceeds to give Caleb a kiss on the cheek and said goodbye.
I waved to her goodbye as she got into her red convertible and sped off.
I rolled my eyes. Someone is on her period.
Caleb kept smiling when he saw that Misty had fallen asleep in my arms.
"So, what were you up to the whole day"?
I smile, "I cleaned my room and made sure everything is the way I want it. By the way, would you like to come inside"? Uh oh, was that really a good idea? Should I have invited him in? What if he says no?
"Sure, I've been home alone all day so I'm down to hang out".
I let out a sigh of relief, "Oh tell me about it, I've been home alone the whole day too, do you know how bored out of my mind I've been"?
He laughs as we both make our way into my house.
I quickly grab him a towel and throw it to him and make my way to the kitchen to get us some iced tea and chips with guac.
He laughs, "you didn't need to do that you know, this towel was enough", he said gesturing to the "I love Troy" towel from high school musical.
I look down embarrassed. "Stop"!
He laughs even more as I turn on the TV, and realize high school musical was playing.
My face turned a bright red as he gripped his stomach from laughter.
I join him and I get caught off guard with his words.
"McKenna, you're something else". He says with a big smile.
I look at him with a blank expression.
Before I can say anything else he pulls my arm down to sit next to him and eats the guac and chips.
"Oh my goodness, who made that it's absolutely amazing"! He exclaimed as a small moan escaped him.
"I made it, I got hungry and there were avocados so I made some guac".
"I absolutely love guac, it's my favorite snack".
I laugh and gesture him to eat more.
"You don't have to tell me twice". He laughs.
I watch him eat. Is that creepy?
He turns his head and we sit there looking into each other's eyes.
Will I be able to consider him just a friend?