I'm usually a very positive and light person, but when I get in a bad mood it's almost impossible to pull me out of.

She stops her ministrations, eyes darting around my whole figure before landing above my head and narrowing her eyes. She doesn't greet my mother, but her lips purse before focusing her attention back on me.

"Is it just your contempt for your special day or does this negative energy have anything to do with what that lab coat told you about mon fils?"

And just like that, my negative mood plummets into downright depressive.

"Actually, no," I laugh, the sound hollow, moving around my Nan to set my purse down on the counter, "But, thank you for that reminder."

She follows me, ring-clad fingers tracing the crystal bins lovingly, her eyes slightly distant. Her orange dress sweeps the floor and the bright yellow of her aura flashes brilliantly.

I have to admit that just being around my Nana has my temperament lifting slightly –everything about her radiates positivity, warmth, life.

She lost her husband, her daughter, and, practically, her son-in-law who was like her own blood. Leaving behind her home, moving to a foreign country, and having to start over all for me without a single complaint.

She is everything I want to be and more.

Her hand is gentle as she tucks a strand of blonde hair behind my ear –a trait I inherited from her, though she has let the silver in her's grow in completely.

She is the moon, I am the sun.

"Chérie, your father is resilient. He has made it this far and he will continue to survive and perservere. We are not sticking him in some home and we are certainly not taking away his soul when it is not his time to go. When he's read to go, the spirits will take him. »

Her words are soft and meant to be reassuring, but they only have my stomach churning with despair.

I don't want to even imagine a life without my father. A life where I truly am an orphan.

« I really don't want to talk about this right now, Nana. I do appreciate you trying to cheer me up, though. »

She opens her mouth as if to say more on the subject, but swiftly shuts it before turning around to rifle through the bins full of powerful and colorful crystals. The rock she comes back with is a brilliant lilac with yellow spilling through it like cream through coffee.

« Ametrine to heal the soul, ma chérie. Happy day of birth. »

Ametrine is a hybrid of the spiritual effects of Amethyst and Citrine to promote optimism in one's spirit. A powerful cleansing stone to rid oneself of emotional blockages and physical ailments to harmonise and heal the body and mind.

The smile on my lips is one I don't have to force, my Nan's warmth and love enough to warm my soul with light. My knuckles grow white around the rock before I rub it between my palms, hoping to spread it's positive effects through my veins.

Before I can even begin to feel the crystal's calming affects, a very excited Niall comes bursting through the front door, obnoxious balloons squeezing in behind him.

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you," He sings completely off key, but his grin is so wide and his eyes so bright I feel his good attitude rubbing off on me, "Happy birthday, dear, Nova. Happy birthday to you!"

And then, much to my great shock and slight embarrassment, he plants a swift kiss on my cheek before pulling a bouquet of flowers behind his back and thrusting them and the balloons at me. The flowers are purples dahlias –my favorites, but it's the balloons that grab my ultimate attention.