Chapter One

Chapter One

"Why can't I go?"

Shaking her head, my mother kept her eyes trained on the road as snowflakes floated down from the thick grey clouds that filled the sky.

"But," I protested, "everyone else is going!"

"It's not safe. We've already gone over this, Jaila."

I crossed my arms and pressed my lips together. Yet another Friday stuck at home, I thought as I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I pressed my thumb on the home button, bringing the screen to life. I had missed three text messages.

AIYANA: OMG! JAKE is coming tonight! You HAVE to come!

AIYANA: Hello? Where are you? Why aren't you answering?

AIYANA: Is Jake already over there? You two would have cute babies... Just sayin'!

My cheeks burned. Why did my best friend have to be so embarrassing? She knew I had a crush on Jake. The first time I saw him at a basketball game, I thought I had been punched in the throat. Literally, the air whooshed out of my lungs and I couldn't speak.

Whatever, stop thinking about him. You're going to be stuck at home tonight. I flipped through my Facebook feed and checked my Wattpad account. Some Friday night...

"Why don't you have your friends over to our house instead?" asked my mom. "You could do Netflix and chill?"

My jaw dropped. "You did not just say that!"

She laughed. "Isn't that a thing? I think I read about it on the internet."

I slapped my left hand over my face and groaned.

"I think I should just crawl in my bed and hibernate until Monday morning. Either that or my social life will officially be over," I muttered.

***

I let out a dramatic sigh. "Girl, I know!"

"You have to come tonight," said Aiyana.

I rolled over and shoved a flat pillow under my neck. "My mom said I can't."

"Sneak out!" Aiyana urged.

"Yeah right, I'd get caught and be grounded until next summer."

"But Jaaaaaake will be there," she cooed. "I heard he asked if you're coming."

My eyebrows shot up. "Nuh uh!"

"Yeah huh!"

I sat up. "Ugh... He's soooooooo cute!"

"Try the cutest. Now come on! Sneak out, I'll get Brandon to pick you up at nine."

Looking around my room, I chewed on my lower lip.

"I know you're thinking about it!"

I twisted my hair around my finger. "I do really like Jake..."

Aiyana squealed. "YES! Now pick out what you're going to wear and start coming up with a good excuse as to why you need to go to bed by eight!"

I hated lying, especially to my family. I tapped my fingers on my leg. Jake's perfect smile floated through my mind. His dark brown hair and six pack abs were everything.

Screw it! I'm going! 

*******

Cliffhangers,

Hope you enjoyed the first of five chapters from my short story, The House on the Hill! 

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think! 

Hearts and Daggers,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

P.S. All votes and adds to your library are massively appreciated! 

 All votes and adds to your library are massively appreciated!