Chapter 28: Picking Up The Pieces

Start from the beginning

A dark look crossed Snape's face. "He didn't Obliviate her, just modified her memories. I'm guessing that he thought it would be a problem if Bridgewood talked to anyone about missing parts of her memories."

McGonagall frowned, a heavy feeling descending on her stomach. Carrow obviously had all of this carefully planned out. "Modifying memories is a difficult endeavor..." she murmured.

Remus' expression hardened. "One that he obviously had a lot of practice with."

Snape nodded and continued, "Even Longbottom wasn't spared from the safety rooms. Twice. Carrow thought he was Potter."

McGonagall's face blanched at the thought of her students being in such grave danger in her school all this time. "Anything else?"

Snape started to shake his head, before a thought crossed his mind and had him pausing. "I would like to recommend a Mind Healer to Bridgewood."

Remus' head shot up in surprise. He blinked at Snape, sure that just a few hours ago the man was practically degrading Professor Bridgewood's existence. Whatever Snape had seen in Bridgewood's memories must have radically changed his opinion of her, enough that he actually wanted to help her get her mind back.

McGonagall's lips curved into a small, grateful, and knowing smile. "Alright. I suppose I can take over Transfiguration for a while."

Snape nodded. "Thank you. That is all."

"Thank you as well," McGonagall said, her eyes roaming from Snape to Remus. Finally, she stood up, smoothened down her robes, and squared her shoulders. "I do believe an announcement to the students is in order."

When Draco arrived in the Hospital Wing, Ron and Hermione were already there, huddled and conversing with Pansy and Blaise in low tones beside Harry's bed. Ron's freckles stood out more than ever on the paleness of his skin and Hermione kept her hand firmly on her mouth to stifle any teary gasps that may escape as Blaise related to them what had transpired earlier that morning.

Draco entered the room quietly, and when Hermione saw him, she actually ran to him and embraced him tightly.

He was dumbfounded. He looked at Ron, eyes wide, but the redhead just gave him a small, weak smile which Draco took as permission. He carefully put his arms around Hermione's shoulders and was surprised at how comforted he felt with that simple gesture. He was so wound tight from everything that had happened and he just wanted Harry to wake up.

All of what Carrow had said echoed dully in his mind and his heart felt unbearably heavy in his chest.

He couldn't help it when he let himself fall into Hermione's embrace and take a few, deep, shuddering breaths to get himself back together.

For Harry.

"Thank you," Hermione was whispering in his ear. She pulled back and her eyes were shining with unshed tears. She wiped at her eyes with the side of her hand and laughed weakly, "You must really love Harry, huh?" More tears welled up in her eyes. She looked at him gratefully. "Thank you."

Draco realized that there really was something different with all of them now. It wasn't like that sense of camaraderie they felt after they had gotten through the Chambers of the Philosopher's Stone together. That was more of a light friendship made by the sharing of an experience, much like the sharing of a secret. This was different. This... was deeper. Made by trust and respect.

He didn't quite understand just how he had managed to go from calling Hermione a Mudblood and insulting Ron's family to his face to embracing her and sharing looks of understanding with him, but he liked this. Very much.