Chapter 19: Coolant Tanks and Prostitutes

Start from the beginning

Pablo nodded rapidly. "Exactly, then we get the rest of the day to ourselves! C'mon Chief, let's do it!"

Henry laughed. "Ah Pablo, I thought you liked working here!"

"Eh don't get me wrong Hank, I love my job and all but I need a break sometimes ya know? C'mon, throw me a damn' bone here!" 

Henry sighed. "Alright, let's check out the coolant tanks." 

 "Hell yea, now that's what I'm talkin' about! Let's go!" Pablo said grinning as he made his way toward the office doors. 

Henry shook his head in disbelief and followed his co-worker.

"Joder!" swore Pablo as he picked up the heavy equipment. "This is fucking bullshit!"

Henry just shook his head. It had turned out that Pablo had heard Kyburz' orders wrong. He and Henry weren't supposed to fix the coolant tanks. The tanks had burnt out last night and needed new ones replaced all along the main pipe junction. That meant the two men had to carry a case of fifty pound coolant rods to each tank and replace the casing, wiring and coolant gel. Most pipes that were built all over Rapture were made from Henry's sturdy, inventive glass. However, the main junction pipe is connected to every other pipe in Rapture which then proceeds to heat the water in all the other pipes so they don't freeze and burst. The main pipe consists of a thick, dark metal that is made up of several materials. It was also the longest pipe in Rapture. It would take them the entire day to finish replacing all of the coolant tanks.

It was dark in the main pipeline. Small lights shone from above in a straight line that led all the way to the other side. 

Pablo spit in annoyance. "This ones fuckin' done." 

Henry nodded. "No time to waste, let's keep moving." It had taken them an hour to completely replace one coolant tank. "One done, fifteen more to go." he sighed deeply.

The two men worked diligently through the day. They trudged along the dimly lit pipeline, carefully replacing the burnt out components of the old coolant tanks. What had thought to be an early leave from work turned out to be one of the hardest working days they had experienced in over five months. Pablo continuously complained about the work and tried to convince himself that he had  heard Kyburz right. For some reason, Henry didn't mind the work. Besides Pablo's ranting the main pipeline was a quiet place of solitude. Away from all the busy industry of Rapture, it was a place where Henry might be able to think. 

They had just finished the fourteenth coolant tank when Pablo spat again. "Man after this shits done I'm headin' over to Fort Frolic for some nice pussy." 

Henry raised an eyebrow. "Didn't think you were that kind of man Pablo."

"Oh yeah Chief I'm all about the wild girls! It's great ya know. No boundaries, no rules and hey it's right to the fucking, none of that talking bullshit." 

Henry motioned for Pablo to follow him along the pipeline while they talked.

"But ya know Chief, how come I never seen you with any girls eh? Big guy like you must have the Betties lined up!" 

Henry couldn't help but smile. "You flatter me too much Pablo. Guess I've just been busy with Rapture, work keeps me pretty preoccupied."

Pablo snorted. "Bullshit, I see you leave after we're done workin'. Everytime after quittin' time you slowly stride to your apartment and lock yourself up all alone. An' Chief, for the good of your life I gotta say that ain't healthy."

Henry glanced back. "Jesus Christ Pablo why the hell aren't you in the Medical Pavilion working as a god damn therapist?"

 "Cause you'd never come for an appointment!"